Chapter 61

Lucan slammed his fist on the table over which the battlefield's map was spread. The enemy clearly had an upper hand. Many of theirs were injured, though hardly any of them were dead. The enemy was focused more on hurting them rather than killing them. Damn, if this continues, this will go bad, really bad.

He didn't expect the reinforcements from other squads to arrive quickly, which is why he had immediately turned to Belial. He was reluctant in dragging him into this right now, but he had no other choice.

"Kuro!" one of his guards shouted, storming into the tent where he was working out a strategy with his proxy Hettia.

Hettia was a head smaller than himself, so he was often underestimated. He had a very filigree-cut face with a snub-nose, high cheekbones, and eyes that shone in a rich golden tone. These contrasted with his short silky, blue-grey hair.

Lucan glared at the guard who came in.

What was so important that he was bothering him?

"Kuro, we have an intruder."

"And why are you coming to me?" asked Lucan angrily. His commanders should have been the one taking care of this.

The guard winced.

"He just appeared out of nowhere. He claims he is our ally and has information for us. Shall we execute him?" he answered in a trembling voice. Appeared out of nowhere? "Bring him to me," he replied in a calm voice.

The demon nodded and disappeared. A few seconds later, a person in combat gear entered the room with two machetes strapped on his back with a fox mask on. He was handcuffed and the guard held a knife to his throat. Who is this?

"Lucan," said the stranger.

Like a bolt of lightning, Lucan was hit with a realization.

Hettia saw Lucan's shocked expression. Then he looked at the stranger.

"What are you doing here?" Lucan asked bewildered.

"I was sent by Nix. I'm here to help win the battle," Aleks said.

"Everyone, immediately leave," Lucan commanded.

Those present were briefly confused but left without any objection. Hettia also left, while eying the stranger suspiciously.

Lucan took off Aleks' shackles and he let him circle his aching wrists.

"Again. What are you doing here? This is a war. When Belial learns that you are here, I am dead," the demon said angrily.

Aleks raised his arms reassuringly and replied, "Lucan. I'll repeat, I was sent here by Nix. He sent me so as to prevent anything from happening to Belial."

Belial is an experienced warrior. He wasn't so easy to kill. He would either have to face many opponents alone or let himself be surrounded for this to happen. Even then he wasn't that stupid. But Aleks was serious. And if Nix had predicted this, it would happen unless he knew how to prevent it.

Lucan ran a hand over his face and groaned.

"Lucan, I have to be near the battlefield, otherwise I won't be able to see the signs. You have to let me go in there."

Heaven, hell, Lord God! I can't send him to the battlefield. Belial won't just kill me for it. Shit. There was no safe spot on the battlefield except the area of the injured. That's it!

"Aleks, you can go." The fox's face brightened.

"But only as a healer," Lucan continued.

"Healer?" Aleks asked.