Chapter 52

"Our suspicion has been confirmed. A higher-ranking demon is trying to gain power and we suspect that they are planning to overthrow one of the princes of hell. There have been countless attacks in all the realms. But on hell prince Astaroth's territory they have been occurring more often than in the others. Demons either disappear or were found dead. And not only that, but Nix also became active. He said that soon a new prophecy will be born that will plunge everything into chaos," Lucan said with a serious expression.

This wasn't good news. Nix wasn't a single person; it was the designation of the almighty oracle, the messenger of the fate of all demons. His prophecies always came true. The position changed every few centuries. The reason was always the same – suicide.

No Nix had been allowed to find his second half. For centuries, they had to see the future of others – and their happiness and misfortune – without finding peace within themselves. Nobody could endure this in the long run. The last time Nix made a prophecy, Lucifer had fallen, and war had broken out between the angels and demons. A dark age that no one liked to think back to.

"I know you want to keep a low profile, but I have to ask you. Should there be an attack on Astaroth's territory, can I count on you for your support? " the commander of the Second Division of Astaroth's army asked him.

Belial thought for a while.

Lucan wouldn't ask me if it wasn't necessary, but he couldn't put Aleks in danger either.

He found himself stuck between a rock and a hard place.

"Well, I will stand by your side, but only on the condition that Aleks is kept out of this war." Lucan nodded. He seemed to understand Belial's demand.

Belial knew he was on thin ice. Hopefully, it wouldn't break below his feet. Lucan looked at Belial thoughtfully.

"What are you going to do with Aleks? Are you going to introduce him to Astaroth?"

"Not yet," he replied to his friend. "Only when he is strong enough to defend himself and is able to fly."

Lucan silently agreed with him. Then he stood up.

"Well, my friend, it's time for me to take my leave. I don't want to take your time longer than necessary."

He kindly shook hands with Lucan and replied: "You are always welcome here. If my spy finds out something, I'll let you know."

Lucan nodded and left the meeting room. Juri and Cone accompanied him outside.

Lucan made a small detour via the terrace, where he saw Aleks lying on his belly and staring at a stone. He briefly looked for the reason for his concentration, but he couldn't seem to find it. With a shake of his head, he focused again on the angel in front of him.

"Is that training?" an amused voice ripped Aleks out of his thoughts.

"Believe it or not, yes, it is. Even if it doesn't look like it," the angel replied with a laugh.

Every time Aleks laughed, a warm feeling spread within Lucan's chest. This boy was the joy and zest that came alive, as well as kindness and love. Belial was incredibly lucky. Is that some envy?

Had he just caught himself envying his friend?

"When should we start?" Aleks interrupted his pondering.

"What?" asked Lucan, surprised.

"I have thought a lot about your words and tried to put them into practice. Besides, you wanted to test my progress," he said with a mischievous undertone. Lucan's face contorted into a grin.