Chapter #15

Gwyn was nervous.
Her hands were shaking as she packed her bag.
Only a few days, she told Flora.
Only a few days, she told Clotho.
Only a few days, she reminded herself.
She could do this. She has faced far worse.
She could do this, she seemed to repeat the words over and over again in her head, trying not to panic.
Nesta walked with her to the training room, while trying to calm Gwyn down, but it was not working.
She couldn't seem to calm down until she saw a certain pair of hazel eyes.
Her breathing started to slow and she asked about Emrie who she hadn't seen in the training room.
Nesta told Gwyn that Mor was going to take Emrie and Gwyn gave Nesta a look and Nesta just smiled and nodded.
About a half an hour later she found herself standing next to The shadowsinger.
Azriel held out his hand and Gwyn hesitated.
They were planning to winnow there, and Gwyn was elated to learn another one of his abilities.
Azriel on the other hand didn't seem thrilled because she still refused to tell him her other abilities.
Only Gwyn's mother and sister knew all of Gwyns abilities.
She had to water walk in her bathtub last night.
Yes, Gwyn knows how silly that is, but she didn't want to accidentally transform in the middle of a war camp or—
"Don't worry Gwyneth, I don't bite," Azriel said smiling.
Gwyn rolled her eyes at him and said "well I do, so don't leave me in a random pit of darkness."
She grabbed his hand and he pulled her closer towards him.
"I promise I won't leave you in a random pit of darkness," Azriel said, "but in order for that to happen you have to hold on tight, and so do I, so..." he trailed off as if asking if it was ok to touch her.
Gwyn smiled at the shadowsinger.
He was always very careful around Gwyn. she could tell especially when they would do anything with contact.
Gwyn's heart melted a little. She was grateful for Azriel and Cassian, they are two very respectful males.
Gwyn nodded and Azriel grabbed her waist and she circled her arms around his neck, drawing their bodies close together.
Gwyn was a little nervous by his firm grasp on her waist, but automatically felt more relaxed when she looked into his wide and gentle eyes.
She then realized that they were basically hugging, and she giggled to herself.
"What?" Azriel asked, shadows already circling around them.
"Does this mean we are friends," Gwyn whispers, and Azriel smiles.
"I think it does, Gwyneth."
And that was the last thing she heard when darkness consumed her.
—-
Azriel let go of Gwyn as they arrived at the camp, though he stood close by just in case.
It was a lot colder up in these mountains so Azriel had worn extra thick leathers today, and he hoped Gwyn had done the same.
He saw Mor and Emrie winnow in and not long after he saw Rhys winnowed in Cassian and Nesta.
By the time he and Gwyn walked over to the others, Rhys had winnowed away to Ironcrest, the rival camp to Windhaven led by Rupin.
Ironcrest was almost Azriel's least favorite camp, mostly because of the war lord Rupin and his intolerable son Kallon.
Kallon was always so disrespectful towards Rhys, and Cassian, who are More than worthy of respect from that pretentious son of a warlord.
"Well, what do we have here," Azriel heard a familiar voice say, and he turned around.
Devlon was accompanied by two Illyrian warriors.
"I see you brought the witch back with you," Devlon said to Cassian, and Nesta winked at Devlon.
Azriel was trying so hard not to laugh.
"We are here on behalf of our high lord—" Cassian said but Devlon cut him off.
"To what check on us? Make sure we don't join the rebellion?," Devlon laughed, "you think so little of us. We are not stupid enough to join the rebellion. Why create war and lose good Soldiers over meaningless things."
"I would hardly say preventing wing clipping is meaningless," Nesta said, taking one of Cassian's intimidating stances.
God, those two have been spending way too much time together.
"Well," Devlon said, "as you can see we are not going to rebel, so why don't you go back to your court of dreams, is that what it's called?"
Azriel took a step towards Devlon.
"Ahh the angel of death himself, I didn't even see you there," Devlon said to Azriel.
"That was not all we came here to do," Azriel said taking up a defensive stance, maybe he has been spending too much time with Nesta and Cassian.
"We are here to oversee the female Illyrian training and make sure that the men are also doing their fair share of work."
"And," Cassian added, "we have brought the winners of the blood rite to help us oversee everything."
Just then Gwyn and Emrie stepped forward.
Devlon jaw clenched, "who do you think you are—"
"Valkyrie," Emrie cut him off, "we are Valkyrie."