Chapter #29

Alac's screams were like music to Azriel's ears.
Well, that was before he had an overwhelming feeling of panic.
He looked around and found all of his shadows had disappeared along with Gwyn.
"Shit," he heard Cassian mumble.
Azriel turned to find Cassian running towards the door, Azriel stood up to follow him.
Just then three Carrions busted through the door.
Where was Gwyn?!
Azriel unsheathed his swords.
He and Cassian cut through the Carrion and five more appeared.
They also learned that it was impossible to kill a Carrion.
Emrie said her and Layla had killed one but there was no way that was possible.
Every time Azriel cut one down it took them half the time to regrow limbs and fight again.
He turned to Cassian.
This was not working; they would have to abandon the estate, as well as Azriel's brothers.
Azriel stalked over to his brothers who were smirking.
"Having trouble killing the Carrion's?" Alac asked and Azriel punched him in the face.
god that felt good.
"Where is she?" Azriel asked, eyes clouded with rage and panic for some reason.
"You still don't get it," Drystan said laughing, "you can't win, you will never win against Koschei."
Azriel was so done with their bullshit.
A Carrion attacked him from behind and without his shadows he didn't anticipate the attack.
The Carrion threw him to the ground.
Right before it could dig its nails into Azriel it arched its back in pain and stumbled off of him.
The Carrion turned around and it's back was on fire, and right behind it was Gwyn holding a torch.
He couldn't quite describe what he was feeling. all he knew was that seeing Gwyn ok lifted some sort of weight off of his heart.
"Get up," she said, fury darkening her teal eyes.
She threw the touch on the ground and flames started to engulf them.
"I found this," Gwyn said holding up Nesta's bracelet, "they must have known what it could do, that we could use it to find her. Which means—-
"She really is being delivered to Koschei," Cassian finished throwing a Carrion off of him and into the flames.
"We need to go," Gwyn said "can you winnow us out?"
Azriel nodded, his breathing becoming more labored because of the smoke.
Gwyn and Cassian fell into Azriel's arms holding on tight.
He needed to get them out now.
He looked to his brothers, still strapped to the chair.
He was going to leave them here, to burn with the rest of the Carrion.
They deserved it, Azriel out of all people knew they deserved it.
That's why he had done such horrible things all those years ago when he cut off their wings.
They deserved to suffer, But killing them was different. It was Finite, there was no going back.
So Azriel took one last labored breath holding on tight to the two people who matter the word to him and fell into the darkness.
He ignored his brother's protests, their pleading.
He shut it all out and winnowed away.
They winnowed directly outside of the estate and Azriel watched as it went off in flames with his brothers in it.
He shouldn't care, there was no reason to.
But he couldn't help but feel the hole in his heart grow bigger.
"I love you, I love you. I can take away your pain I promise," Elaine said, kissing his chest. The spot directly above his heart.
"I don't deserve love, I don't deserve you," he said, letting tears roll down his cheeks.
"Of course you do Az. You deserve to be happy to be lov—
"Azriel," he heard Gwyn say tugging on his arm.
"Look at me," she said cupping his cheeks.
"I love you Az, more than anything. I love yo—
"Hey, I need you to pull it together ok. We need to find Nesta. Cassian left, do you hear me," Azriel could hear her voice grow thicker.
He knew that Gwyn and Nesta were close like sisters but he didn't know how much she cared about Cas.
"Where?" Azriel asked, snapping back to reality.
"He went to go find Nesta before Koschei gets her," Gwyn said, shaking and not in rage.
She was scared, terrified.
He picked her up and held her close to his chest, in his warmth and whispered, "breathe. Breath, Gwyn," He said resting his temple on hers.
Gwyn reacted to situations a lot like Cassian. So, Azriel thought she needed what Cassian needed to calm down.
Touch.
He continued to hold her close and his temple was still held against hers.
He stayed there until her breathing started to slow and her body stopped trembling.
"Ok," she said, opening her eyes, "let's go."
At that Azriel shot into the sky and winnowed to the lake.