chapter #66

"Azriel."

Azriel forced his eyes open at the sound of his name. The voice belonged to someone who he hadn't heard in five hundred years.

"Azriel," she said again.

It had to be a dream. He must be hearing things because if this was real... if he could actually hear her that meant he was–

"Get up you lazy bat," Luna poked him in the ribs.

He sat up blinking violently at the sight before him. Her dark hair and moonlit eyes looked the same as the day he had last seen her. The only thing notably different about her was a faint glow that seeped out of her body.

"Luna?" his voice hadn't sounded like he had nearly drowned. His body didn't bear the marks or pain of the damage the sea monster had caused.

What was going on?
Azriel really looked at her, not able to fight the tears pricking at his eyes. "Luna?" he repeated and a big smile spread across her lips.

"It's been a while," she said, voice breaking.

Azriel practically lunged at her, gathering her up in his arms as he shuttered. She immediately wrapped her arms around him, reciprocating the hug Azriel has missed so much.

"Azriel," she said his name with such sadness he knew if he looked at her face he would find those moonlit eyes filled with water. "You can't stay here."

He held onto her tighter. "Where is here?"

"I think you already know."

Azriel released her just enough to look at her.

"There isn't much time." she cupped his face.

"I don't understand." he shook his head in confusion. If he was dead did the mother allow him to see Luna before being handed to a dark god. Surly too much blood stained his hands to find an eternity of peace.

"You don't need to understand, only listen." she said and the strength in her words reminded him so much of Rhysand. "The made sword you believe belongs to you is owned by another. They will come from a world of chaos and destruction. The dagger you possess does not only belong to you as the sword they carry does not only belong to them."

Azriel couldn't understand the nonsense that Luna was saying.

"When the knife and the sword are reunited so shall our people be." Her eyes started to glow like she was professing the truth exactly as she saw it.

"Luna–

"You cannot stay here," she interrupted him. "You have to go back."

He shook his head and held her tighter. "I don't understand."

"Reach for the bond that connects your souls. It will always lead you home." a tear slid down her face as she pressed a kiss to his cheek. "You and Cassian and... and Rhys... you all already know how much I love you." she took a shaky breath. "Tell Tamlin," her voice broke. "Tell him that I love him, and that I will see him soon."

Before Azriel could blink a flash of white light erupted and Luna was no longer in his arms, and he hurt.

His head, his chest, his limbs, everything.

"His heart is beating."

"He is alive?"

"He has a pulse so–

 "is he okay?"

"We need you to calm down."

Azriel heard an array of voices all fogging together into a maelstrom of confusion. He saw nothing but darkness but he felt so much pain in his body.