Chapter #59

"How," Gwyn cleared her throat, "how do you know who I am."
That was the last thing she had expected from Tamlin– her father.
If he had know who she was all this time–
"There is a lot I need to tell you– both of you," Tamlin amended.
"Both of us," Azriel questioned before Gwyn could.
"Yes, though I think it is something you should sit down for."
Gwyn was about to argue, but closed her mouth and nodded. Her legs were already barely keeping her up because of nerves. And she didn't think falling over would make a good impression–
Not that she wanted to make a good impression, just a strong one.
She wasn't weak and she refused to let anyone see her like that.
Tamlin turned, and Gwyn gave Azriel a look that said, don't you dare argue.
He looked at her, narrowing his eyes as if saying, I wasn't going to.
Gwyn just rolled her eyes, content to focus on arguing with Azriel rather than think about where they were, and who they were with.
They followed Tamlin into a beautiful foyar.
Cauldron, everything about this court was breathtaking: the abundant green forests. Ponds and rivers, and waterfalls. And the temperature here was absolutely perfect because of the warm sun and spring breeze and— Gwyn really hoped it would rain. She loved rain.
Gwyn felt it in her very bones that she belonged here, but that thought alone scared her more than anything.
Gwyn and Azriel sat next to each other on a couch.
Gwyn scooted up to make room for Azriel's wings. Tamlin sat down in the chair across from them.
He was staring at her like she was a surprise, but he said he knew who she was.
She looked at him— really looked at him. He was definitely a high lord with all that power radiating off him. He had the build of a warrior. Lots of Golden, sunkissed skin, long blond hair, and she almost lost it when she saw his nose– those lips...They were Catrins.
Gods, they looked so much like her facial features.
While Catrin had gotten her skin color, hair, and webbed hands from their mother, her face could have mirrored Tamlin's– except for their eyes.
Tamlin's eyes were the most interesting shade of Jade green she had ever seen. They looked so full of life yet, emptier than grief.
her mother had always told Gwyn she had his eyes. Gwyn never understood because they were not even remotely the same color.
But her mother had said nothing of the color of their eyes, but that they both held life.
A flicker of light that no other eyes could mimic.
Looking into Tamlin's eyes now, she could see none of the light her mother had spoken about.
He looked down, studying his hands as he spoke.
"I have been getting back some memories that were once lost to me. It started happening a month ago with a vision of you," he looked up at Gwyn, "you were holding the made knife– the dagger of life, whatever you want to call it–
"How do you know about the knife?"
None of what he was saying made sense.
"Because that knife used to be mine. And because you are my kin, because you touched it...you are the new owner just like she foretold..." he trailed off, rubbing his palms over his pained features.
"Who foretold?" Gwyn felt the anxiety bubbling up from her skin. So she really was the owner of Gwyndolin.
For fuck sake.
"I had this... friend," Tamlin's gaze returned to his hands, "she was a seer."
Gwyn felt Azriel tense. His shadows swirling around his fingers.
"The memories I got back were of her. She was the one who told me about you," he looked up at her, eyes pleading, "Gwyn if I had known you existed, I promise I would have been there from the moment you were born—
"I don't care," Gwyn didn't have any patience for fathers who abandon their children—
But he didn't abandon her.
It wasn't his fault because he didn't know.
Gwyn's heart ached with so much anger and nowhere to funnel it.
Everyone in her life kept apologizing like that would fix every bad thing that happened.
But it wouldn't.
Gwyn refused to imagine a life with Tamlin in it.
if he was, both her mother and sister might be alive.
But they are not, and Gwyn survived on her own well enough even though her world had been turned upside down on multiple occasions. Gwyn always adapted.
The look on Tamlin's face at her words was the most agonizing thing she had ever seen. And seeing those emotions on a face so similar to Catrin's— Gwyn had to look away.
"If you had a vision about me then do you know why we are here?" Gwyn asked, her words colder than ice.
"No. and the visions my friend had of you... she only told me that you had to be born in order to defeat Orcus."
"Orcus?"
"I have no idea who he is, just that you– both of you are destined to defeat him."
"Both of us?" Gwyn turned to Azriel who was staring at Tamlin.
"Why didn't she tell me this?" Azriel's eyes narrowed.
Who were they talking about? How did Azriel know who she was?
"She couldn't mess with fate, but she gave you the dagger so that you would find her," Tamlin gestured to Gwyn.
"What are you talking about?"
"None of this matters right now," Azriel gave her a look that said, I will tell you later.
"We came here because we are looking for another made weapon: narben."
"It's here?" Tamlin asked.
"It is off the coast of spring," Azriel clarified.
"Underwater?"
"Yes," Gwyn looked up at him, into his empty eyes, "I need your help if I am going to get it. I need you to teach me how to shift."
Gwyn would not let pride stop her. If she needed help she would ask. Because just as her loved ones taught her, asking for help was not a sign of weakness, but strength.
Tamlin nodded, "It may take a while, but I will help you in whatever way I can Gwyn," again, his words, they sounded so vacant.
After all the stories Gwyn had heard of Tamlin, this was the last thing she had expected: a shell of a male. It seemed not even anger or sadness could keep him going.
Tamlin showed them to their rooms and left with the promise to train her tomorrow.
Her and Azriel's rooms were on opposite sides of the hallway.
She just walked into Azriel's room without a second thought and he followed her inside.
Gwyn simply sat down on his bed, trying to ignore the beautiful view the room had, and said "explain."
He sighed and sat down next to her leaning his head on her shoulder.
Gwyn was surprised by the touch, but was content to soak up his warmth as his wings and shadows wrapped around them.
"The seer, I have told you about her before."
Gwyn was confused for a moment then it clicked, "Rhysand's little sister?"
"Yes. Tamlin and Luna were more than friends, and if you can't tell by his demeanor... the memories he got back of her have affected him greatly."
"Were they mates?" Gwyn knew about the mating bond from Nesta, and apparently it was very strong.
"Yes."
"What happened?"
"For how much I still hate him, that is not my story to tell."
"But you do– hate him I mean?" Gwyn knew Azriel had known Tamlin for over five hundred years.
"Yes, he is a terrible male," he sighed, sounding more tired than usual, "though I can't help but imagine how much of that was because of Luna's death."
"I can't even imagine how painful it would be to lose a mate," Gwyn frowned and felt Azriel still beneath her.
"still it doesn't change what he did, no matter who he was long ago, he still hurt people I love."
Gwyn nodded, "no one can change the past, that's why we shouldn't dwell on it," she paused, taking a deep breath, "but it's important to acknowledge it."
He lifted his head from her shoulder and she looked into his eyes.
Green dancing amid golden brown hues Gwyn thought was the most beautiful shade of hazel she had ever seen.
He was looking at her like he felt the same way about her eyes.
His gaze made her feel like the most beautiful female in the world.
He tucked a strand that fell loose from her braid behind her ear, and Gwyn wondered if he would kiss her.
Did she want to be kissed?
Something glowed inside her chest as she realized that she might like to be kissed by the shadowsinger.
as if reading her thoughts his eyes darted down to her lips then back up to her eyes.
He quickly backed away, "we should get some dinner. You have a big day of training tomorrow."
Gwyn tried not to let the disappointment she felt show, "and what will you be doing, other than being a territorial bat?"
He chuckled and Gwyn thought she could live off of that noise.
"I am going to see what else I can find out about narben, and see If I can find anything about Orcus."
Gwyn frowned, not letting herself dwell on Orcus.
One problem at a time, she thought.
After Koschei, she would worry about Orcus.
Whoever the hell he was.
—---------------------------
Hey, so I got a COVID shot and I'm currently in the middle of a weird fever dream state. So this chapter could be terrible... sorry.
So I might need to edit it tomorrow, but this is the best I can do tonight.
Thank you all so much for reading! I hope you have a restful night✨❤️