chapter #61

"Gwyn if we stop every time you find a different type of mushroom we are never going to find Narben," Azriel sighed as Gwyn crouched down to point out a blue and white mushroom.

"But they're so beautiful. I've never seen anything like them before," her voice was filled with awe.

"O, look at this one!" Gwyn grabbed his arms, catching him by surprise and tugging him down. his wings set him off balance and he fell down beside her.

"I remember Elain telling me about this," she plucked a flower from the ground, "it is a Celandine poppy, it is an herbaceous plant in the poppy family. She put them in Nesta's flowers at her wedding."

Azriel blinked at her, "how do you remember that?"

"I remember anything that interests me," she looked at him and stuck a poppy behind his ear, "beautiful," she grinned, "the yellow really brings out the gold in your eyes."

Azriel couldn't help the blush that stained his cheeks. His mate called him beautiful.

his shadows whirled around Gwyn's hands.

"There isn't gold in my eyes," he turned and looked down hoping to stop her from looking into his eyes again.

Her gaze was causing his heart to pick up.

Looking down was obviously the worst and best decision he ever made because she softly gripped his chin and made him look up at her.

"Yes, it's right outside of your iris, but you can't see it unless it is light outside."

A small smile spread across his face, "do you look at my eyes often Gwyn?"

He couldn't help the pride that sparked in his heart that his mate knew his eye color.

She narrowed her eyes on him, "I don't do it on purpose," she argued, "I just see you all the time, and so I see your eyes all the time."

He could hear her heartbeat quicken.

He just hummed, still smiling.

"Whatever," she muttered, "but there is gold in your eyes... I think it looks nice."

Again he didn't know what to do or say to avoid the comment.

He just coughed nervously.

"Wow, you still can't take a compliment," she let out a soft laugh. Azriel just kept looking at the flowers on the forest floor.

"Well at least I can take criticism," he countered and Gwyn had the audacity to look shocked.

"I can take criticism–

"Remember the first time I tried to correct your combat training—

"You deserved that—

"No one deserves a surprise dagger to the face!"

She pursed her lips, "Well, I can't really argue with that, but at least I can take a compliment."

"Really?" Azriel challenged and Gwyn nodded confidently.

"Well," he picked a flower from the forest floor and slowly mirrored her actions, letting his fingers and shadows brush her cheek, "Gwyneth I think you look absolutely bewitching," he meant every single word.

Gwyn stared at him for a second before a blush stained her cheeks, "are you embarrassed?"

"Not at all," she stood up fidgeting with her bracelet, "thank you for the compliment Azriel."

He narrowed his eyes on her. If only she knew all the ways he could make her blush deepen.

He stopped his thoughts before they became fantasies.