Chapter 71 - Second Day

The second day of blacksmith training.

The day started early at the Arnold workshop. Ah, Arnold is the name of the master of the place. It was easy to remember since the workshop’s name was the same. Which was a good thing.

 But that aside.

When I woke up in the morning and finished dressing, I left the room and locked it. Then I headed towards the dining hall. The rental contract covered the food expenses, so I decided to take them up on the offer.

I could just cook myself, but as expected secluding myself on the first day is a bit that, right? Besides, I’m also curious about the menu options for meals in such a large household. Well, that was actually the main reason.

When I arrived at the dining hall, it looked like the food was still being prepared. The landlady and the maid appeared to be quite busy. Since I’m free, should I help?

“Good morning, I’ll help you.”

“Good morning! Sorry about that, but thanks for the help.”

Good, it doesn’t look like they’re against it. What a relief.

It feels like I forced myself in and I know I’m also being given quite a bit of preferential treatment, so it’s not unreasonable for them to think badly about me. It might look like I’m just trying to butter up to them, but still there’s nothing bad about acting nice.

Besides, I can’t be kicked out since I rented a smithy. Let’s aim for production cheats!

I looked over the other two as I helped prepare the meals.

The landlady appeared to be in her mid-thirties? She looked a lot younger than the master, she also gave off the feeling of an energetic mother. She was moving briskly about with quite the energy, so she fitted quite nicely with the image of a large household.

The maid looked like she was in her late-teens? Well, my judgement for ages wasn’t the best, so it wasn’t really that reliable…

Apparently, the maid lived around the area.

Breakfast was a mountain of bread, grilled orc meat, a pile of salad, and vegetable soup. Meat right in the morning… and a mountain of bread. I get that this was a field that relied on stamina, but still isn’t this quite heavy in the morning?

“That’s a lot to eat right in the morning.”

“That’s because the state of the body is the most important! If you’re tired, you won’t be able to do anything!”

“That is true.”

But couldn’t it also be too fulfilling and make you unable to move as well?

“But you’re quite handy, we finished earlier that usual!”

“I’m an adventurer and I cook for myself.”

“I see! An adventurer! But is it alright with you being so small?”

After preparing the meals, the master appeared and chatted for a while until the other craftsmen arrived.

“Oh, lass, you’re up early.”

“It’s Ren. Good morning.”

“I see, so it’s Ren. Good morning.”

Hm? They don’t remember my name? I introduced myself before, right?

The other craftsmen also gathered around.

There was the master, a chief blacksmith, three blacksmiths who were skillful enough to be allowed to work independently, three blacksmiths who were skillful enough to act as assistants, two apprentices who were just allowed to start with the hammer, two shopkeepers, and two leatherworkers who made sheaths and sword belts. A total of 16 people, including the landlady and the maid. These were the people who worked at this workshop.