Chapter 69

⚠️ANGST, MENTIONS OF EMOTIONAL/PSYCHICAL ABUSE⚠️

"Daddy, you're home!" young Cheryl squealed as she ran over to her father.

The man smiled and scooped her up in his arms before kissing the side of her head.

"How was homeschool?" he asked his 7-year-old daughter.

"Great! Mommy let me have a half-day!" she cheered.

"That's amazing, lovie." he smiled.

"How was work?" she then asked as he set her down on the floor. But he didn't answer.

Suddenly the room shifted and turned dark. Cheryl started to breathe heavily as she looked around the room, seeing that she was in her father's office.

She was older now and she could hear yelling outside of his office.

"I told you to stop being annoying! You brat!" she heard.

Her stomach dropped with dread as she walked out of the room saw 9 years old her getting yelled at by her father.

"I-I'm sorry, dad-"

"I-I- shut up!" he shouted and Cheryl watched as her younger self flinched.

"All you do is whine and cry! Don't you ever do anything else?!"

"Y-Yes." young Cheryl mumbled, frightened.

She watched as her father paced angrily and saw him ready to strike, she launched forward to stop him but went right through him. It made her frustrated.

"How dare you!" she shouted at him. "I was nothing but a good daughter! I made sure the table was set every morning for you but you were never there! I made sure mom made extra food for you because I knew how hungry you get after hours or work! I worried for you when you'd get a drink and go out and never come back until morning." the redhead shouted at the man, though he couldn't hear her.

"I-I defend you when m-mom trashed talked you. Even though you weren't the best father, I made sure that mom and Jason, aunt Alice, Betty- I made sure that they saw you as the greatest father ever even though you weren't!" she grunted as she tried to push him but he faded away just like her younger self did.

"Baby!" was shouted, "My love..." words followed after but Cheryl barely hear them.

"Cheryl-Cheryl, wake up."

Cheryl sat up and breathed heavily as she took in her surroundings.

"It's okay, babe. You're okay." her wife mumbled as she pulled her into her side.

She took deep breaths to calm herself as she held onto Toni tightly. "Is mommy okay?" Hunter whispered into the dimly lit room.

"She's going to be okay, bug." Toni nodded, "She just had a bad dream that's all."

Hunter nodded and leaned over to hug the redhead too, "It's okay, mommy. I have bad dreams too."

That made Cheryl smile softly and she hugged her son back. "I'm going to get you some water." her wife mumbled and went into the connected bathroom.

When Hunter heard her sniffle, he squeezed her tighter and whispered, "It's okay, mommy."

Once Toni returned with the water, Cheryl eagerly down it, needing something for her dry throat.

Hunter continued to comfort her while Toni gently caressed her hair.

"You wanna talk about it?" she mumbled against her hair. Cheryl shook her head and Toni squeezed her in response, "Whenever you're ready, my love."