Chapter 97

The sound of birds chirping and trees rustling filled Toni's ears as she gains consciousness. She opened her eyes with a squint while yawning, her eyes traveling over to the alarm clock that resided on her bedside table.

6:30 AM. She hated when she woke up before her alarm. Sighing, the athlete throws her feet over the end of the bed as she sat up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. She looked behind her and a smile graced her face at the sight of her sleeping wife.

The brunette got up, slipped her slippers on, then made her way into the bathroom while scratching her head. Her brown locks were all trussed and wild. "Mmm," she grunted when she shuts on the bathroom light, the intense brightness nearly hurting her sleep-induced eyes.

"God, my kids are so lucky that I love them," she grumbled, grabbing her toothbrush.

It's been almost 7 years since Nala passed. 7 years of the family going through the grief of losing her. And 7 years of Toni stalling on getting a new dog.

And now, today, the brunette was going to drive two hours to pick up their new puppy. Her wife knew this, of course, but the kids don't and she couldn't wait to surprise them.

After making peace with Nala's death, Toni went on a search for a puppy that'll be perfect for them. An Australian Shepard, barely a year old, with pretty blue eyes and white/gray fur. Once Toni laid her eyes on him she knew that he'd be perfect for them.

After washing her face and brushing her teeth, the athlete quietly goes into their walk-in closet. She threw on some Jordan sweats with a hoodie and Nike slides. She may as well be comfortable since the drive is two whole hours. So she'll most like to be back a little before noon.

Once she is ready, she shuffled over to her wife's sleeping form, leaning down to press small kisses on her uncovered shoulder. "Baby," she mumbled against her smooth skin.

She gently caressed her arm and continued to press kisses on it. The redhead stirred scantily and hummed softly, breathing out through her nose gently. "I'm going now, my love."

Cheryl turned over to face her, her face still riddled with sleep. "Okay, baby." she rasps, opening one eye. "Gimme kiss." she shuts it while puckering her lips.

Toni laughed warmly at how adorable her wife is at the moment. Tilting her head sideways, the athlete kissed her wife's lips gently. "I'll be back a little before noon, okay?"

"Mhm." the sleepy redhead hummed. "I love you. Please drive safe." she opened her eyes this time, meeting soft brown ones.

"I will, baby." the brunette pecked her forehead. "I love you too." she then stood upright. She pulled the blanket over her wife before rubbing her arm.

Cheryl didn't hesitate to fall back into her slumber as Toni grabbed her phone and charger.

Toni headed downstairs, going into the kitchen to get something to snack on for the drive. She grabbed two Gatorades, some chip bags, and a bagel to eat for breakfast before heading to the front door, not forgetting the cage.

The couple was already prepared for today. They somehow made it this far by sneaking dog items into the house. They already have his leash, shampoo, bed, treats, toys, and everything a puppy will need.

Toni was excited. But only because she can't wait to see Hunter's reaction. She knows the boy will be more emotional than Aliana will be. The girl was only three when Nala passed on, she doesn't remember much.

"Let's hit the road." the athlete mumbled as she starts her jeep.

7 years ago

"It's okay, Nala. It's okay." Toni whispers over the dog's pain-induced whimpers. "We're almost there, Nala." tears form in her eyes. Cheryl looked in the passenger seat before turning to the road. She was driving over the speed limit, going fast as she can.