Chapter 100

12 years ago: November 27th, 2027

Cheryl twisted the key in the lock and she chuckled when she heard Nala's footsteps trekking towards the door. Her wife stood behind her with baby Hunter in her arms, cradling the 3 day old as he slept soundly.

When she finally got the door open, Nala wagged her tail happily at the sight of them. "Hey, girl." the lawyer greeted in a high-pitched voice. Nala whined in excitement showing that she missed them.

Toni walked into the living room and took a seat, Nala curiously trailing behind her. The puppy sat in front of her as if she was waiting for something. "You wanna see him, huh?" the athlete giggled. The puppy only tilted her head.

"Okay," she said and started to remove the blanket from around him. Hunter's somewhat yellow face comes into view and Nala took a step forward to get a closer look. Cheryl stood at the door frame with an affectionate smile. She knew Nala was going to be super gentle with him.

The puppy sniffed his little t-shirt before moving over to his arm. She then licked his little fingers before Toni pulled him away. "Gentle, Nal," she whispered. She had been gentle but any little touch was fragile to the boy.

Nala stayed by the baby's side throughout the night. Hunter's first night home was by his best friend's side.

Present Time

Hunter sat at the fireplace where Nala's urn sat. The house was quiet since everyone else was still sleeping and Koda rested on his lap, occasionally looking up at him just in case he needed comfort. The family came to discover that the puppy was a huge empath. The small pooch knew when they were showing any negative emotion and knew exactly how to comfort them.

It reminded them of Nala.

"We miss you, girl," he mumbled. "A lot. We got a new dog. His name is Koda. He's amazing. Just like you were." he added, looking down at the pile of fluff on his lap. "Mommy loves to say that you're living through him and that's why he has some of your habits. He loves to dig holes into momma's flower bed." he laughed.

"I promise we're not trying to replace you. We love you way too much to do that. You were our best friend. And we will cherish you forever and ever." Hunter whispered. "I feel like I don't come and visit you as much. And I don't want you to feel as if I forgot you. I haven't. I could never forget you."

"Aliana drew a picture of you yesterday." his blue eyes scanned over the neatly sketched drawing of the late husky. "It felt comforting to see your blue eyes again."

"I'm sorry that I wasn't by your side for you last night just like you were there for my first night home, from what my mothers told me. I didn't know you were hurting." tears starter to prick at his eyes. "You were the best, Nala. I wish I could hug you again," he sniffled. Koda whined sadly and sat up, pressing his tiny body into Hunter's stomach.

Hunter shushed him softly, petting behind his ears just as he liked. "And give you more kisses." he continued. As he spoke, he didn't hear the footsteps of his mother.

When the redhead hears his voice she stopped and peeked behind the wall.

"Today is your birthday. You would've been 16. It'd be a miracle if you made it past 12." Cheryl smiled softly at that.

"Happy Birthday, Nala." he then broke down into tears. The redhead's smile is quickly wiped off of her face as she rushed to aid her son. Hunter feels a soft hand on his bare shoulder and looked up to see his mother.

Cheryl sat beside him and pulled him closer, gently shushing him as she ran her fingers through his hair. "It's okay, Hunty. Let it out," she whispered.