Patience

Patience, the one thing you need with a person like Steve. His kindness is never meant to put you or anyone down, it's just how he works. He's still trying to get used to the world, so everything you grew up with and learned to use, he was oblivious to. His knowledge to certain things is sometimes a gift, but you never have find a problem having to explain things he doesn't understand.

Technology was the biggest one. Not only was his frustration a block, but everyone else who was trying to show him things you didn't want his innocent mind seeing was adding to it, making it much harder for you. Yet, you kept your patience built high, and your calmness only pointed to Steve as you helped him. Sam and Tony being the cause for your own frustration, which he had to help you cure.

Currently, you're sitting on the couch to try and find something for a mission you were about to go on, looking at a map of the land on the screen. Steve came in with his phone in hand, a confused and traumatized look on his face as he sat down next to you. With the look he had, you took a peak at his screen. Porn.

"Steve!" You exclaimed and took his phone, closing the web down and sighing.

"Why did people make that?" He asked, slightly softer than you've ever heard him before. "It's...weird." Looking over, you could see he was actually worried, putting your hand on his thigh to rub the pad of your thumb over it to help ease the visual tension he had.

"I know, just don't watch it, it's not good or healthy," you smiled softly, leaning over to give him an assuring kiss. His hands rubbed your back before traveling down to your waist to pull him into his lap, having a secure grip around you. Something he only did when he was bothered. "What wrong?" You pulled away slightly, your hands rubbing over his stubbled cheek.

"Why are you so patient with me?" He suddenly asked, a hint of discourage in his voice. "I waste your time so I can catch up, and you do it willingly."

You sighed and put your forehead on his, still rubbing your thumb over his cheek. "Because, I know you. If I were in the position you were in, you would do the same for me, without hesitation. I think you deserve to be able to do what everyone else is doing with your own style. Also, you don't waste my time. Any moment with you is every moment I cherish, love. Patience is the key to life, and it's easier live with it than live without it."

Steve listened to every word as he played with the ends of your hair, letting his negative feelings die down to the point of non existence. "You're my key to life," he mumbled, taking a breath to recollect himself as he pulled you to him all the way.

"And you're mine."

***

Steve had to be patience with you too, knowing you were just as stressed. An agent comes with more responsibility than anything, but you were also the right hand person to Fury, having to be next to Hill for everything as if you were the vice president.

So when you're dad died from an accident, you lost your rhthym. You were sitting in bed with Steve watching a movie when your phone started raining, reaching over to see a hospital calling.

The second the nurse started talking, you froze in your spot in the middle of the room, having been pacing due to being on hold while another call came in.

When the line came back on, everything faded around you, not even listening anymore after the words were said.

"I'm sorry miss, he's gone."

Your knees have out and you collapsed on the floor, your phone falling from your grasp as you tried to cover your sobs. In an instant, Steve was by your side, barely missing you from falling to your knees. His arms wrapped around your shaking body and pulled you to his chest, not even knowing the story. The one thing he did know, was that you were hurting, and he wasn't going to leave.