Repayment

It wasn't a mutual thing, just an understanding. He knew you hated him for what he did, even though you knew you shouldn't. It wasn't his fault, but it didn't change the fact that they weren't with you anymore, and haven't been since you saw him so many years ago killing them in the living room of your family home.

You were doing your job, but when you saw him anywhere else, you avoided him like the plauge. There was no small talk, no jokes, and never a comment. He was used to it, and understand so well that you could never get your parents back. He hated himself sometimes after realizing things could have gone differently if he had just died after falling. If he fought harder to keep them out of his brain.

Nothing could be done now.

Even though you hated him, you were respectful and did nothing wrongful to him. You didn't have the heart. You never discouraged him, and even gave him a few compliments after a successful mission, but it was nothing more than a 'good job', or, 'nice shots, Barnes'. He's never been more hateful to himself when you could barely look him in the eyes, or when you had to whisper just to keep from breaking down.

He could tell you were really trying, and wanted nothing more than to apologize everyday until you told him to stop, or looked him in the eyes. Or even just said more than what you did the first time you spoke to him about the topic.

"I hate you, but I shouldn't. I'm sorry, because I know they weren't the only victims, and it just makes me want to have died there knowing I wouldn't be so conflicted like this. I really am sorry for what happened to you, Bucky, and just know I wish I can get this sorted out, because you seem like a really great guy, and you deserve a teammate much better than me."

He remembered how much you tried not to cry, but he was quick to wipe your tear with his right thumb, your eyes closing as a sob broke. After that night, you were distant and working harder, keeping your mind busy from flowing differently. He got updates from Steve or Natasha, but they were all the same. 'She won't talk about it'.

With work, you were civil. You had even saved his life just a few weeks ago. An infiltration on a base had backfired and he was down and barely conscious when you had dragged him somewhere in the building to keep him alive, your hands keeping the three bullet wounds from losing blood, and taking the two syringes full of some poison out of his shoulder and arm. After the gunfire had died down, you moved him to the jet to take the bullets out, then checked in at the marker before getting back to the checkpoint spot to finish the job.

He was thankful you had the training you did and never held anything against him for what he had done. He was grateful for everything you do for him, and he tried to repay you, but it was hard when he couldn't get you to talk to him. He never had hard feelings to what you do, and could see some sort of friendship in the future. But for now, he was savouring your compliments and skill you were still giving him after everything he had done.

A meeting was called and he watched as you walked into the room with confidence, your shorts and tank top indicating you were in the training room. If you had been sweating, he couldn't tell, but your hair was still in a low, nest ponytail, and your tongue was wetting your lips as you settled down in the chair next to him.

The room was starting to fill with a few straggling agents, most of them working on a lower level than the one you and Bucky worked on. Everyone else has been away for their own mission, or doing their own thing out of the state lines.

"I guess Barnes and Y/L/N will work this one," Fury announced from the head of the room. "Everyone dismissed besides you two." He turned his body as the rest of the room left, all grumbling goodnights and see you laters as they headed home or went somewhere else in the building.