Grumpy

Warnings - Explosions, blood, Bucky a dork, self conscious thoughts, injuries, terrible gun descriptions, captive situation, but barely even mentioned

I'm surprised I haven't done anything like this yet, so I got WAY too excited and a little 🤏 overboard

Here's my update

There's a note at the bottom of you care enough to read 🤷🏻‍♀️

*LONG CHAPTER*
UNEDITED

The room is silence save for the few pens clicking and normal breathing Bucky can hear as he waits for someone to answer the simple question. He has to look down into his lap to smirk. Sam was wrong. Again.

"I'll go."

His head snaps up at the sound of your voice. He concentrates on your features, how you carry confidence and shrug as you look back at him. There isn't anything besides a gentle smile on your face when he meets your eye, his lips falling and gaze moving to Fury who just nods in agreement.

"Alright," the director concludes, snapping shut a folder and handing it off to Maria. "L/N and Barnes are going. Rest of you, down to training." It's like heard standing to leave, everyone following out one another with comments and small conversations outside of what you were used to.

Fellow colleagues send you a simple good luck and crazed expressions over their shoulders on their way out, but nonetheless grant a goodbye as the room empties out. Bucky is still silent in his corner of the room, chair leaned back as he gazes ahead. Fury and Hill had already left, nothing much left besides the air unit and his small breaths.

There's not much of a sign that he's really even here at the moment as you grab your things. You figured there would be more words for him to say, but his silence is just too uncomfortable than anything else you thought you were going to feel.

Bucky was still confused. No one ever really wanted to go on missions, and if he was supposed to be going with a complete stranger, he didn't understand why they would offer themselves. From the word spread all throughout the compound, people know he's a killer and "ruthless" in his training, so he must be nothing less than a dick while in the field.

So as he looks at you, completely oblivious to the scramble of his mind, he starts to catch up. His things are thrown in the bag on his chair, and he's waking out only a few seconds after you, following your steady heartbeat until you start to enter the living quarters.

"Agent," he calls. You immediately turn over your shoulder, throwing him a gentle smile that was everything he felt he didn't deserve. Your eyes sparkle, the lights above just making them much more clear. He shakes his head to try to rid himself of the thoughts. "This isn't an easy touch and go like you're used to, this is a steak out—"

"Barnes," you interrupt. Bucky is not only shocked, but impressed. You don't even blink an eye at him. "I know. I'm a professional sniper, have been for almost ten years. Don't get ahead of yourself." Patting him on the arm, you turn on your heel and continue to walk to where your room must be.

Nothing more needs to be said, and Bucky turns around with barely anything routing through his head besides himself. Somewhere in him wants to relate to you, but everything else is blank. He's good with almost every gun, especially anything that can be hidden easily.

But snipers was something he felt deep inside. Hydra was always hiding in a part of him, and feeling that, he thinks the old part of him was somewhere buried with them. His old life, the one that grew up with Steve being an annoying pain in his ass rather than the hero he is now, had something to do with the way his heart races at the thought of a sniper.