Chapter 3

Ivy

I cannot believe Aaron is so casually sitting on my couch, his Converse propped up on the coffee table, his expression more annoying than ever.

"Let's just get this over with," I say to him.

He smiles at me, a cynical smile, telling me he isn't going to make this easy.

As I write research notes, I try to ignore his stupid eyes following my every move, but it gets more difficult by the minute.

"Stop staring at me," I say, finally breaking.

He smirks. "What? Am I making you nervous, Ms. Blake?"

Yes.

"No, but if you don't want to help, at least stop being annoying."

"Well, I can't stop being annoying... I'll just help you instead." He gets off the couch and starts to sit on the kitchen counter.

"What are you-" We make eye contact, and I can't seem to get the rest of my sentence out.

I look up at him, me in the chair, and him standing, towering above me

I look up at him, me in the chair, and him standing, towering above me. I realize how different he looks up close, more innocent than usual. His eyes look more green, a light freckle on his chin. He looks—

"Ahem." My mom enters the room, and we quickly look away from one another.

I feel my face heat up in embarrassment, and I hear Aaron snicker.

Fuck my life.

Aaron

She's so flustered.

I watch as Ivy nervously writes in her notebook, her face having a redness she can't hide.

"What're you kids up to?" I can hear a hint of suspicion in her mom's voice.

"Nothing. just studying," Ivy replies.

Yeah, with our faces inches away from each other.

Once her mom leaves the room, Ivy finally makes eye contact with me again.

"You heard my mom coming in, didn't you? That's why you did that?"

"Did what?" I ask, walking back toward the couch.

"You know what." She glares at me.

"What? It's not like we made out or anything."

A silence ensues.

"I mean, we can change that if you-"

"Aaron!" I grin, and see her blushing uncontrollably.