Chapter 72

Aaron

"His name is Ashton," I say in regards to my brother. "And he's four years older than me."

Ivy nods, then changing into the lavish pink dress my mom picked. "Do I look okay?" she asks as she walks out in it, almost begging me for reassurance. I've never seen her quite like this.

"You look," I hold her face to look up at mine, "Fucking beautiful, all right? No matter what my family says, I'm with you too."

And when we go downstairs, they're sitting at the dining table, waiting to be served their food. Ashton doesn't seem to pay much attention to us, but I can feel my parents annoying glare.

"Nice to meet you, sir," Ivy says to my dad. The entitled piece of shit only nods, and starts to eat his food. My mom, however, starts blabbering away.

"Ivy, meet my eldest son. I'm sure Aaron's told you plenty about him."

"Hello," she says timidly. Ashton scarfs down his food, and just like my dad, gives her a nod. 

"He's working in the family business, same as he will once he graduates," she says, gesturing to me. "Aaron wanted to be a singer when he was younger, played guitar, and all, but he's come to his senses." I give my mom an annoyed look.

"What're you going to do once you graduate, young lady?" My dad speaks, and for the first time, I think I'm happy about it.

"I plan on becoming a doctor, sir."

"Hm, and your family? What do they do?" And just like that, the silence settles in.