Chapter 112

Ava

"Ivy—Liam and Ava." Penelope points to us, and she turns, a little shock creeping up her face, but she hides it well.

"Oh my god. Hi, it's been so long." She smiles—Liam probably thinks her smile is beautiful. It is. She is, even more so than before, if that's possible. As she goes in to hug him, he lets go of my hand, and suddenly it feels cold. It feels cold and alone, and I hate that I know the hug is innocent. I know it is because it's one of those really quick hugs—one where you're hugging an acquaintance. I know it is because they barely even touch each other. I know it is because Aaron walks up and he doesn't seem to mind it either, but somehow I do.

"Hi!" She goes in to hug me, and I'm surprised. Maybe she forgot about the whole debacle last year, or maybe she's just choosing to ignore it. Maybe everyone is, or maybe I'm overreacting—being the jealous and overbearing girlfriend? Is Liam holding my hand again to make sure I don't go crying about this? Break up with him, even? Is everyone else mature but me?

I can feel my eyes stinging, but everyone seems too preoccupied with their conversation to notice me. I just don't seem to exist when Ivy's around. And here I was thinking everything was getting better. "Are you guys together now?" she asks.

"Uh..." Liam looks at me, grinning. "Yeah, we are." Ivy laughs at his giddiness.

"About time! I remember when I talked to you, you were pretending like you were totally over it." She looks at me. "He's not a great liar, is he?" I nod, putting on my worst fake smile. Liam never told me they talked after high school...

"Hey, you guys wanna go and get us drinks?" she asks kind of suddenly, looking at Liam and Aaron. Liam looks at me before replying as if asking if I'm okay with being here alone. With another fake smile and wanting to be the "chill girlfriend," I oblige. Being stuck with Ivy and Penelope was not part of my plans for tonight, but I guess I have to deal with it now...

"Let's dance!" Penelope shouts after they leave, grabbing both of us to dance with her. Ivy looks at me as she does, almost as if she's...worried?

"Are you okay? Sorry, I don't mean to overstep, but I saw you looked a little overwhelmed or something. You can talk to me if you want." She even whispers it so Penelope doesn't hear, and I feel like such a shitty person. She noticed? Do I tell her it's because of her? Is it really because of her or my own insecurities? "I know we ended off sort of badly last year, but I think we should be friends, you know—leave the past behind us? I understand if you don't want to, given everything that happened..."

She gives me a hopeful look, her eyes this beacon of goodness that I hate she also has, but somehow I can't hate her. I can hate that she has all these good things, but I can't hate Ivy. She's too nice—too blessed with everything, I guess, but I can live with it. I can live with it because she seems to care. Even a year ago, she didn't have to talk to me, and she did. Today, she's going out of her way to try again, her eyes on mine even though her best friend is trying to get her to dance. I guess there's a warmth to Ivy that I've always tried to disregard, but this time, I can't get myself to do it, so I reply, not fake smiling this time. "Yeah, I think we should be friends too..."

______

HI, I MISSED YOU ALL <3 IT'S FINALLY WINTER BREAK SO I CAN POST MORE!