Chapter 20

Liam

Ivy said yes to me; to me. And how stupid of me to believe it. As I dance with her, I can tell that she's distracted, that she isn't really enjoying this.

And then I see Aaron, and everything starts to make sense. She only brought me here because of him; I was only a pawn. She only wanted me to spite him

And after all these years I thought I finally had a chance.

I never did have a chance, did I? It was always about him. It's always been about him. As I wallow in my misery, I hear muffled cries coming from the road ahead.

"Rough night?" I see a girl sitting on the curb of the road, mascara smudging her face. I sit beside her on the curb, under the streetlight.

She doesn't respond. "Me too," I say anyway. We sit in silence for a few minutes before she finally speaks.

"You ever feel like no matter how hard you try-" she sniffles, "You're just never enough for someone." I can't help but laugh at the situation.

"Yeah, I feel you" I pause a moment to gather my thoughts. "It's like you try and try and try to get them to notice you, but they're so fixated on someone else, someone better, and you can't help but feel insecure." I pour out my feelings to this random girl, just needing someone to listen to me.

She starts to laugh now, and we both start laughing hysterically at how pathetic we are, sitting on the curb of a road, ranting to a stranger about our problems.

"I'm Liam by the way." I extend a hand, and she takes it.

"I'm Ava."