Chapter 98

Ava

"Hey." Liam walks downstairs, his hair still wet from the shower, and blonde strands messily covering his forehead. He ruffles them almost cinematically, the droplets cascading around him.

"You stare any harder your eyes will pop out," Jason whispers. I elbow him in the stomach. "And doesn't look like you're mad at him either... " He shakes his head in disappointment.

And I know he's right. I should be mad at Liam, but when he sits beside me, and grabs my hand, I forget about it. Maybe I should wait anyway. Maybe it's better to talk about this in private. Maybe I'm just delaying the inevitable.

In this moment, I don't care. I watch as his thumb traces patterns on my hand, the warm sensation clouding my thoughts. "You guys are gross," Jason remarks at the contact.

"And you're jealous," Liam replies, smirking. I hate that I'm sitting between them right now, so I awkwardly chew on my toast, praying nothing bad will come of this conversation.

"Why would I be jealous? She's not even your girlfriend." And in that moment the otherwise funny banter turns cold, and the elephant in the room has been addressed. The elephant I think Liam was unaware of before but has caught on to now. The patterns stop, and my hand's empty.

I can hear the scrapping of forks as everyone turns quiet, the previously untouched vegetables being chewed on.

"What? Now you have nothing to say?" Jason continues stirring the already scathing pot, and I have a feeling it's going to erupt. "I mean if you don't want her, maybe I can..."

A fist goes flying past my face, and toward Jason's jaw. I hate my life. 

____

almost 100 chapters! WHAT? THE? HECK?