Chapter 81

Aaron

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." I rub Ivy's back as she cries, and I can positively say I've never felt more like an asshole in my entire life. I knew bringing her to my family was a bad idea.

Of course I don't want her to forgive her dad for me, or even talk to him for that matter, and even though I've told her that so many times in the last hour, that doesn't seem to be the problem.

"I can't be with you," she finally speaks while pulling away from me. I freeze, a sudden chill sweeping through me as I register what I just heard. A world without Ivy... Before I can say anything, she continues.

"Wait, not like that." She brings her hand toward my face, and makes me look at her. I feel numb. "If you're just gonna hide things all the time, then I can't be with you. I wanna know you, Aaron, and all of you. Not just the good parts. And if I'm just not good enough for you, and your family, and that's why you've never told me anything-"

"You're more than good enough." I say, shaking my head at the mess of a situation I've created, my head spinning in every which way. "And I'll tell you what you want to know. Even the not-good parts." She gives me a small smile, and I finally relax a little.

"You promise?" She stares up at me, hopeful for answers that I'm afraid to give her.

"I promise." And as the words come out of my mouth, her lips brush against mine, and for a moment, I swear every problem falls away.