Chapter 83

Ivy

We walk through the streets of New York, neon signs flashing about, and the smell of smoke filling the cool nighttime air.

"Why can't you tell me where we're going?" I ask in whiny annoyance. We've been walking for so long, and maybe I wouldn't mind it so much if I had some idea.

"It's a surprise," Aaron grins, my arm around his, and my head subtly nuzzling his shoulder. We suddenly turn into an alley with people lined up to get inside what looks to be an underground bar.

Instead of waiting in line like I think we are, Aaron walks up to the bouncer. He's a tall, older man, even taller than Aaron, and tattoos are littered across his body. If I was alone, I'd definitely be intimidated.

But when he looks at Aaron, he moves aside, almost smiling as if he recognizes him. And once we step into the building, I see graffitied walls, and a room full of people. I still don't know why we're here, but I get led toward the bar, drinks being poured into shot glasses.

Aaron hands me one, and I take it, the sour taste coating my throat, and making me a little dizzy. This probably isn't a good way to deal with a heavy day, but screw it. I take three more shots, and follow Aaron toward what seems to be a crowd around a stage. I guess some sort of band is performing.

"This is a favourite of ours. Sing along if you know the words." And the crowd cheers at the first strum of the guitar. I drag Aaron towards the front to listen to the music.

"I wanna be your vacuum cleaner. Breathing in your dust. I wanna be your Ford Cortina. I will never rust." I stand in front of Aaron, gently swaying to the music, and singing along. I can't help but smile at this feeling, perhaps a little inspired by my intoxicated state, but god, it feels nice.

I hear the crowd singing along, and I look up at Aaron, and smile a little, he himself enthralled by the music. He looks mesmerising under these neon lights, and I can't help but stare.

When the chorus comes along, he finally looks down at me, mouthing the words. "Maybe I just wanna be yours, I wanna be yours, I wanna be yours. Wanna be yours, wanna be yours, wanna be yours." I think my heart's gonna explode.