Chapter 71

Ivy

"I've heard quite a lot about you." I look at Aaron, confused. I thought he hadn't told his family anything, and Mrs. Kristensen catches on to that.

"Oh, not from him, dear." She starts walking further into the house, us following aimlessly behind her.

"We had to do our own research. You went to the same highschool as our son, graduated as valedictorian," she says with a seething look back at Aaron. "You're in one of the top colleges in the country. I must say, Ms. Blake, I'm impressed." She turns around again, seating us on a black leather couch.

"Thank you, but-"

"Quite beautiful as well. It's just a shame that your family..." She shakes her head in disapproval.

"Mom," Aaron starts to get up, but I stop him before he can say anything.

"Oh, I'm only joking," she waves off. "Your father, and brother will be here soon, Aaron. Get that thing off of her. I've left some clothes in the guest room." She looks at me again. "I'll consider it charity."

I hear her heels click away, and I don't move. I can't move. Everything starts to register slowly, her words itching up my spine, and invading my tear ducts. I can hear Aaron's words, his "Are you okay?" and "Do you wanna leave?"

I wipe away the beginning of any tears, putting on a smile. "I didn't know you had a brother."