Chapter Fourty Two

Cassie

When college started back up after the holidays, I realised how much I had missed out on. Instead of spending my week hanging out with my friends, I used my free time to catch up on everything. It nearly drove me to lunacy but I managed to pull through in the end. Landon had to refrain from visiting me the whole week. I couldn't deny that I also struggled with not showing up at his apartment.

Not soon enough, Friday rolled around and it was the day of his football game. It would be the first time I had properly seen him for the entire week.

Considering I wasn't only supporting him and I was also supporting the team, I needed to wear something that would match the team spirit. Perhaps I should've planned my outfit a bit sooner because I only had an hour before needing to head to campus and still nothing to fit the theme. This wasn't going the way I expected it to.

As soon as I knew I didn't have anything of my own to wear, I headed straight to Cailen's house. She looked astounded at the fact that I did no preparation ready to watch Landon playing for the first time.

"I don't have anything for you to wear, sorry Pierce." She slumped down on her bed after going through her entire closet. The dedication was there, just not an outfit.

"Aren't you at every single one of these games?" I could've sworn she had said to me in the past that she's never missed one.

Cailen took a bite out of a pretzel that she'd been trying to eat since I showed up. "Yeah, but it's not like I have anyone to impress there. I have no reason to make an effort. Me being there is enough support. You on the other hand have a boyfriend who would want nothing more than to see you in the crowd in the team colours."

No matter how often I corrected her, she would always refer to Landon as my boyfriend. Or me as his girlfriend. I loved the sound of it, though it didn't feel right considering we weren't official.

"Does Elle have anything?" I asked.

Elle hadn't answered her phone the entire time. I tried to call her for some guidance when we were looking, only to not get a response.

Starting off hopeful, she said. "The only thing she has is a jersey, slight issue, it has Adrian's name on it."

Showing up wearing a jersey with his best friend's name on wouldn't be the way to go. Then again, I'm not an expert. We can call that plan B. I'd just have to try and change the name on it.

"Don't panic. Chase always picks me up and takes me to the games so we can probably have him figure something out. I'll text him now." Cailen held her pretzel out for me to take a bite out of. One of the many advantages of being her friend, the baked goods are out of this world.

Chase and I still never had much of a conversation. We had never hung out properly and the only thing I knew about him was his first and last name. I heard stories about him all of the time and I knew he was good to the group. He seemed like the odd one out, but at least he was still a part of them on. Everyone had their stories to connect with each other, Chase didn't have that. Going to the coffee house and ordering every day was his connection.

Me on the other hand, I still felt like an outsider. Despite the differences, Chase had managed to click perfectly with them. I barely knew him and even Adrian. Sure, I had spoken to them a few times and Adrian saved my ass with Landon, I knew they were doing it for the sake of their friends. Quite frankly, I'm just another person who will come and go to them.

That's definitely on me. I wasn't exactly doing much to get to know them.

Cailen was going over what typically happens at the football games and explained the plans for the night. After the game, we were going to head back to Adrian's for drinks and order food. Apparently, they would normally go out to a restaurant to celebrate in the summer, however, with the cold weather and the game not being a major one, they settled on keeping it simple.