Chapter Eight

Landon

Two days. It had been two days since meeting Coco. Or Cassie. Was I a creep?

Who in their right mind nicknames someone they never met? Either way, it was sticking.

Oddly, I was wondering when I would see her next, if I would ever see her again. I hated to admit that I was almost hoping to see her again just to see what would happen. It wasn't a small town, so whilst the odds were against us, maybe the fact that we both lived here and apparently hung out at similar places would work in my favour.

Being drawn to a girl I met one time and probably would never meet again was definitely the first step of becoming a creep. There was no debate, it was a bad thing.

Coco had a sense of mystery to her. She was seemingly upset about a breakup, but by the way she spoke about him, it didn't have that much of an effect on her. There was something else worrying her which she cared far more about, masking it with the breakup - hiding her thoughts with something she could actually handle.

Fuck me, I was really becoming drawn to this girl.

I groaned and turned over on the sofa to grab my phone. It was only noon and I had nothing to do for the day, nor did I want to do anything. The guys invited me out and I declined. I was definitely beginning to regret that.

Doing nothing isn't exactly my favourite thing to do, especially on my own. To save me from the boredom, I called Hailee to see if she would be willing to make the drive from Toronto to do something. As I went to dial her, a call came through from her first.

"That's some creepy business, Hails. I was just about to call you." I said, trying to make it sound spookier than it really was.

"You know what they say, great minds think alike."

"They really do. Are you busy today?" I asked her.

"Why, where's your boyfriend?" She teased.

By that, she meant Adrian of course. She knew that the two of us were often together when we had nothing better to do and I was supposed to be with him today.

Yet I was too preoccupied thinking of the girl and if I went out lime that, I would be bugged all day. Questions of why I wasn't paying attention or not contributing to whatever they were doing. It made me wish that I was one of the quieter ones in the group.

"He's busy today." I sighed, giving the simple excuse. "Do you want to come over?"

"Funny you should ask, I was going to surprise you but called to make sure you're actually home. I'll bring us some food or something if you're hungry?" She offered.

"I always am. I'll see you soon."

Once she mentioned food, my stomach started instantly rumbling. I hadn't eaten anything but a bowl of dry cereal because I was yet to go grocery shopping for anything else. I was waiting for Chase to come with me because we always did it together.

Hailee and I tried to see each other as often as we could because in the whole family, we were the only ones who really saw one another. Occasionally my parents, only in unavoidable circumstances. It wasn't a shock that she was already planning on visiting me.

I decided to change in the end in case she wanted to go out later and drag me with her like I was her pet. She often liked the company too. Being left alone by our parents when we were young lead to both of us growing practically inseparable and needing a lot of contact. Anything would do, I needed a dog.

Not in an apartment, it wouldn't end well and I would probably get kicked out.

I needed a shower, regardless of the hot summer coming to the end, it was unbearably warm. The air conditioning wasn't working and I needed it to sleep a full night. It's not hard to predict that I would wake up sweating.