Chapter Sixty One

Cassie

I'll be back soon, put this on - Landon 

Considering Landon was still here before I got into the shower, I was confused, to say the least. A black gift box was left on my bed with a silver ribbon wrapped around it. He was planning something, yet I had no idea what. It had been tempting to check his phone for the past week, but I had to have some sort of self-control. Whatever it was, I did not doubt that it would be amazing. 

I carefully untied the bow and opened the box, revealing a beautiful dress inside. It was baby blue with thin straps that fell just past my knees, but with a slit up the left thigh. I could only imagine how much it would have cost him to buy. When I slipped into it, I felt incredibly comfortable with the delicate satin clinging to my body. When I reached behind my back to try and zip it up, someone had already beat me to it. 

Landon stood behind me and moved my hair in front of my shoulders, trailing his hands down to my hips, then to the bottom of my spine to zip up the dress. "Happy birthday, Coco." He whispered into my ear, pulling me to the mirror so I could see my reflection. 

It was rare that I felt so elegant, in that moment I felt nothing but adored by the man I love. I didn't buy myself clothes like that and I didn't think to for my birthday either. Landon knows this and always tells me that I should indulge sometimes in the little things. The fact that he knew exactly what I would go for and then surprised me with it himself was the best gift I could ask for. 

If I hadn't just finished my makeup, I would be crying. 

"Where did you go?" I asked, turning around in his hands that stayed fixated on my body. "I didn't hear you leave, but I did my makeup in the bathroom." 

"Just had to take care of something, you aren't allowed to ask any questions, unfortunately," Landon said. He rummaged through my closet and pulled out a pair of white pump heels whilst I sat down on the bed. Kneeling in front of me, he kissed the inside of my thigh and gently placed the shoes onto my feet, fastening the strap around my heel with a little bit of struggle. "Are you ready to go to dinner?" 

Nothing sounded better. "Of course, I'm starving." 

... 

Instead of driving, Landon booked an Uber so we could both enjoy a couple of drinks. We pulled up to a modern-looking building twenty minutes from my apartment. The outside was a mix of black bricks for columns, dark wood, and blackout windows. The only view of the inside was the entryway, where a man in a suit stood typing on a laptop. Above the door were LED lights, illuminating the walkway with a narrow, built-in pond on either side, if that didn't scream fancy, I don't know what else would. 

As much as I hated to admit it, I was a sucker for splashing out when it came to eating. If I was going to enjoy a divine meal in a luxury restaurant, I would not spare any expense. 

When Landon opened my door, he held out his hand so I didn't stumble in my heels, which wasn't an uncommon occurrence. Then, he asked, "Can you close your eyes for me?" before leading the way through the front door with a steady arm wrapped around my waist. My heart pounded in my chest, completely oblivious to whatever he was hiding from me. Soft music played as he opened the door, and then he instructed me, "Open your eyes." 

Doing as he said, I opened my eyes to a room of people toasting to me. First, my eyes locked on Elle and Cailen, beaming with glasses of champagne in their hands. Then, to Adrian, who was standing with not only Kris, but also two of my cousins, Alexander and Althea. They hadn't visited me yet, but we still spoke every week. Those two were the closest I had to siblings growing up, I was in disbelief that Landon had managed to get them here without me ever finding out.