Chapter Thirty-One: Failure

// Somebody Once Told Me, 'Hands Off My Macaroni'- Milwaukee Pasta Bandit
Found Dead~ He Was Picking Up the Gun, With His Finger
And His Thumb, Raised It Up- Pointed Straight to His Forehead, **Deep Inhale** WELL- //

-

Waking up in a cell, Gingerbrave rubbed his head as he sat up, his vision blurry, and his pounding in pain. Some spots on his arms felt itchy, and he couldn't help but lightly scratch at them.

The room was darker, but not completely devoid of light. A couple lamp-lights glowed off to the corner of the room, letting out a soft orange-red hue.

"So, you're finally awake..." a voice emerged from one of the darker corners of the immediate area. The voice was calm, and feminine. Grumpy, of course. Though, that was beside the point. It sounded olden, and a little croaky, but otherwise normal.

There was only one person that would be.

Guiding his vision in the direction he had heard the voice from- Gingerbrave's slightly tired eyes focused on a spot, before seeing the reddened eyes of the purple-skinned woman. He said nothing, but he knew she saw him look directly at her. Her eyes narrowing confirmed that within him.

She sat on a chair, with her arms crossed over each other, one leg over the other as it lightly swayed with her prompts. Likely something she had started doing out of boredom, sometime before he woke up.

The child dared not to speak.

"You know, for someoene who is supposed to be our prisoner, you have managed to cause a lot of trouble, and you haven't even attempted escape to do so. Impressive, and inconvenient. I can tell you that much." By this point, the leader of The Darksides was now standing, looking down to Gingerbrave as she raised a brow, a look of concentration crossing her face.

Gingerbrave continued to look up at the woman. Keeping his mouth shut, he listened to what she had to say.

"You know, that thing lingering in your mind really is annoying. More annoying than you, somehow. You should either be relieved, or defeated with that information. Because I finally met something that I hate more than you. Either way... since you have no where to go- I dabbled into exploring that presence lingering around you." the woman folded her hands over her lap, before making her way to the front of the cell where the child sat on the ground.

Gingerbrave had a look of clear worry, and slight panic written across his features. He tried to maintain eye contact, but that only made him more apprehensive. The child looked down after a minute or two, unable to look her in her eyes again.

"Ah. So you are well aware of that thing. Aren't you?" the olden woman questioned before shaking her head. "You would have kept it under lock and key, I am sure. You hero types can't rely on anyone for anything, can you? It's part of what makes you 'heroes' annoying." Dark Enchantress shook her head. "Perhaps it is to protect your ego."

Pressing his buttons intentionally.

That's what she was doing.

The Dark Enchantress looks down to the child, who just turned his gaze more toward the floor. With a small wave of her finger, she activated a bit of magic, which would have persuaded the child to talk.

Despite his silence, Gingerbrave felt himself wanting to speak.

He couldn't explain the sudden feeling. However, he desperately wanted to tell her she was wrong. Tell her that she was making all of these bold assumptions about him.

He wasn't even sure of himself. Was he selfish? Greedy? Was he terrible for not wanting others to know about his problems?

On top of a new root of growing frustration, he was becoming saddened, and confused.