Chapter Fifty-Seven: Tableware

//What da dog doin?//

-

An implication of hours, days.. maybe even weeks flew by in an instant. All of the outside observers within the memory were stuck watching as Gingerbrave and the cookie in the nightcap scavenged for food while the witch was sleeping.

All of the Darksides payed close attention to the sibling in the nightclothes. They recognized him, and they knew exactly who he was, despite not liking that fact. They couldn't understand what got the child from his current, sleepy and sweet demeanor to such an evil, manipulative little psychopath- the one they saw lingering in Gingerbrave's mind.

That also begged the question of how the forms of the other dead cookies also got there. They were all so young, and they didn't get the chance to live before they died.

Maybe karma thought that it was doing Gingerbrave justice, but in this case scenario, it was hardly fair.

Dark Enchantress was starting to firmly believe that the little kid in the Nightcap here was not the same as the one that they had encountered within Gingerbrave's troubled mental scape. There was no way it could be the same cookie. That idea was blasphemous.

The mentally exhausted child that had come down memory lane with them was staring off into space. He kept looking at the floor and shaking. He refused to look at the scenes anymore. Eventually, he just passed out- he couldn't take it. The white haired boy outright collapsed.

The Darksides didn't bother trying to wake him up. It might end up doing him more bad than good, at this point. Dark Enchantress carried brave around for a while, but she could only do that so long. He was light, and a little small for a pre-teen, but he still had a good amount of weight to him.

Eventually, Dark Choco took the child from her, and started carrying him instead.

The memory around them continued to play. Days and nights almost seemed to bleed right into each other. Every event became more confused or blurred together. Finally, the fast-forwarding stopped. The sun shone brightly through the window that the witch had in the kitchen and some birds chirped away outside.

The younger version of Gingerbrave in the memory was still awake, watching over Dozer. The eyes of the phantom child drooped from the lack of sleep, his tired blue eyes barely holding themselves open in the attempt to stay aware and alert.

Everything was shattered quickly. All of a sudden, there was humming and whistling as large footsteps started rapidly approaching.

Startled into clumsy awareness, the momory version of 'Brave quickly crawled over toward the sleeping cookie child that leans against a wall of some sort- hidden behind a basket and a long curtain that just barely hung above the floor by a centimeter. He stumbled over himself before quickly shaking the resting child.

"Dozer..! Dozer get up, now..!" the voice was a scared, harsh whisper. Urgent and hushed as the light came casting down on both of them from the now clear space above. The witch stared down to the cookie children, one barely even waking up, but amidst a fright. The other one clearly alert and terrified. At first the giant woman seemed baffled. Stumped, even.

Cookies- alive and staring right at her? In her own kitchen?

The confusion was overrun with the urge to catch them. Quickly reaching her hands down toward the children, both of them jumped back before the memory version of Gingerbrave grabbed Dozer by the hand and quickly dragged him along, dashing across the floorboards.

Red Velvet and Licorice instantly took their weapons out, but Pomegranate stopped them with a shake of her head, reminding them that they wouldn't be able to change anything anyhow- as it had already happened.

The taller cookie child lead the way, bringing his smaller, sleepier brother along clumsily. They were persued for several minutes, running, hopping, and ducking under everything in their way as they tried to desperately make their escape. Gingerbrave kept a firm hand around Dozer's, swinging him ahead, if the witch got too close. However, Dozer would quickly fall behind again, because of him being tired, and not having much energy from the get-go.

"Get back here!" the gargantuan woman called, grabbing a broom from right next to the oven the boys had originally escaped from.

She was persistant. Perhaps it was an instinct to chase. Maybe it was something else. Either way it went, Gingerbrave knew he couldn't help Dozer continue running for long. They were both slowing down, and it showed.

Peering around, the fleeing dessert child spotted another long object going up toward a table top. He recalled the woman slamming her arm down in an attempt to grab him and Dozer moments ago. Spotting a gleaming metal handle on the end of the table, barely hanging off, Brave formulated a plan.

"Come on Dozer, just a little more...!" he grabbed the others hand firmer, before starning to run up the steep incline that he aimed to climb. He almost THREW Dozer to the top of the table, and leapt from the ledge, dangling near the silver handle that rest just barelt over the edge.

"Brave...! Hold on..!" Dozer called out, quickly moving forward to help Gingerbrave up to his knees, at least- so he wasn't dangling anymore.

"I got you now..!" the woman called, slamming her fist down near where Gingerbrave had been hanging from the edge of the table.

That was all part of the plan.

Finally pulling himself up at the last second- both intentionally, and otherwise because of genuine fear- the child cookie clambered back up to his feet just to hear a shrill, nasaly shriek.

Looking back, he saw that his plan had worked, and that only made him take in a deep breath of air, mostly in guilt. However, it was them, or her. He knew that it had to be done... right? He shook his head, before going and trying to get Dozer moving again.

All of the Darksides closed their eyes and looked away. There was a tinge of pride and satisfaction within them, as they had been against witches for the longest time now. This was karma. This was giving them back what they deserved- even if it SHOULD have been worse.

What about all those cookies who never stood a chance? What about all those cookies that never even got to taste freedom.

A snarl of pain, and a sharp gasping brought them back from their moment of chilled satisfaction, and the darksides watched as the room around the memory just seeped into darkness as the angered witch stood at a better height.

The witch had slammed her hand down on the fork whilst trying to catch Brave, and she ended up hitting the handle. Because of the sudden movement, and the leaning forward she did to try and see where the living food child was- she didn's consider what was nearby- and due to her reckless actions- the fork that hung not-so-haphazardly from the edge of the table was now embedded in her bleeding eye.

Ripping it from herself, after her screaming subsided, the raged, pained woman looks to the cookie children before hissing as she got a closer look at Gingerbrave.

"YOU..."

(To Be Continued)