Chapter Seventy: Warmth

(("Get in loser, we're going to therapy."))

-

The chatter at the table was modest at first. Then again, it was usually how lunchrooms were like. Cafeterias, or whatever whomst may call them. It didn't really matter at this point- there was so much going on around GingerBrave that he shut down actively thinking about much of anything.

He was trying to enjoy the moment. Surrounded by those he was comfortable with as they all chattered about a couple things.

Somehow, he had convinced himself that they normally wouldn't talk at the table, especially before he was brought into the darksides place of residence.

Licorice was, shockingly, sitting at the table without his robes. One could tell that he was lanky in build, but he was certainly very thin. It wasn't an unhealthy thin either, he simply just didn't have a build where he would have meat on his bones. The dark wizards hair was pulled firmly into a bun of messy dreads at the back of his head. Probably for comfort reasons.

The table filled up completely, eventually. Poison Mushroom being the one to the table last as they huddled up to their chair, and made an attempt to climb it sleepily. The younger child went to waiting for their food much like everyone else. Though, they weren't in the mood to talk much at the time, one could assume by the lack of active interaction.

Dark Choco and Red Velvet both talked back and forth as they had a morning coffee, made at the brewing machine. Ironically, it was Dark Choco who preferred to have coffee with sweeteners and cream. Red Velvet might as well be outright chewing on the coffee beans himself, based on how he drank his.

Amongst all the chatter, Gingerbrave had only managed to string some of his wandering thoughts together in the confusion that wrapped around his mind. He had been counting his blessings, and lining up his curses. Everything that had happened in the last long while had a reprecussion. What if one of the reprecussions was the safety of the cookies around him now, much like it was in the kingdom?

Just how strong was the accursed entity in his mind? It had managed to take control over multitudes of cookies in such a short amount of time. Effecting them mentally, and making them act different.

The only thing the Cookies of Darkness had up their sleeves was the fact that they were very much accustomed to darker magic and utilizing an event to their advantage. Be it for knowledge or for other means.

"Hey, whatever you made tastes pretty good kiddo." Licorice called over to Gingerbrave, before taking another bite. "I 'unno what it is, but it really hits the spot." pulling back his locks, the gray-skinned man finished what was on his plate, before standing up and going up to the sink to wash his dish. "Bitter and sweet tastes don't always work well together, but this one was quite great."

Gingerbrave smiled a little at the compliment, before nodding.

Even with the smell of the food he had made- which was quite amazing, he couldn't help but allow his mind to wander. There was a force somewhere in his mind whispering to him all the time that he was not safe. He wanted to believe he was. The darksides didn't scare him, and he thoroughly didn't believe that they would hurt him at this point.

Miss Pomegranate even seemed less intimidating now. Not in a bad way, of course.

All of a sudden, it was overwhelmingly cold.

Everything around him was freezing. A chill slowly made it's way up the boys' spine, tingling as the sensation of coolness graduated to nothing short of bitterly frigid. Gingerbrave wrapped his arms around himself and closed his eyes, trying to shut down any thought he had of the cold. It did little to soothe his jittery teeth and shaking fingers.