Chapter Fifty-Six: Unfair

//"Mother trucker dude, that hurt like a butt cheek on a stick."//

-

It was almost as if they were flying, for a moment. The distance, the air- it was almost like the taste of freedom, in a way. It was so calming, and felt amazing- until they actually hit the ground.

Brave landed on his legs wrong, and fell down immediately, doing his best to keep Dozer from flying forward, or getting his leg caugh anywhere. The child bit back a sharp cry of pain, before shaking his head and struggling to stand up. He stumbled, lightly pulling Dozer along as they scrambled to get under the table, and to the wall.

Looking around, the frightened children noticed several things, including a pait of legs, that belonged to someone or something of garganuine size. There was also a sort of quadruped nearby, with a long tail, small ears. This animal trot to the oven, before sniffing, and quickly padding away.

The taller figure saw that the oven was open, and let out an exclaimed remark. "How in blazes did this happen?" the woman looked around, taking note of the burnt smell. "It looks like I left these in here too long anyways..." Disappointment. That is what her voice was laced with.

From the current time, the onlookers of the memory didn't need to run after Gingerbrave and Dozer when they leapt out of the oven- they simply were brought closer, if the child got too far away. Almost like phasing through time, if one could think of it that way.

Within the memory, still, Gingerbrave and Dozer seemed to be out of breath. Maybe they had held their breaths in anticipation on their way downto the floor- or perhaps it was just because of all the random, new stresses that they would have to endure.

Both of them watched the tall figure as they went to the ovenm and started trying to bring the door up, just for it to slam back down, due to the inner gears being broken.

Gingerbrave kept Dozer tucked behind himself, despite being the one who had the injured leg. Be it the cruel nature of curiostiy, or maybe just bad timing, they watched as the woman sighed in frustration, before letting the door to the oven slam back open.

She reaches over, grabbing cloth from the counter, before reaching into the oven, and pulling out the tray of cooking treats.

Half-Tempted to look away, Gingerbrave at least got the sinking feeling in his gut that she should maybe cover Dozer's eyes. He knew something bad was coming next, and with the cripy bodies of the other ginger children already there- making them sick to their stomachs, it was bad enough.

The woman counted the cookies, before looking around, and shouting accusedly at the small, black quadruped that sat on the floor. "Merlin, did you eat my cookies? Naughty, naughty kitty!" she was quick to assume that the cat had eaten the snacks. How silly indeed.

The cat let out a small coo, before pawing off somewhere, seeming to not understand.

"No matter, you've eaten worse things." the woman sighs to herself. Within seconds of the cookie sheet being set down on the counter, the crooked, boney fingers of the woman reach down, and grab one of the resting bodies that decorate the tray.

There was a silence, as she looked it over. Then, without a second though, the woman brought up her other hand, ridding it of the cloth she used to grab the tray. Then- with little to no effort- she snapped the body of the cookie she was holding in two.

A small squelching noise was heard, and the world seemed to freeze from Gingerbrave, and the intruders that were watching the scene from the future.

Within the woman's hands, deep, reddened jelly started to ooze from the cookie, falling down, and back onto surface of a still-heated sheet.