Preparing for war

"I'm sick of people paying for our mistakes." -Captain America, Age of Ultron.

"You're mad at me."

"Obviously." Elena didn't turn around to look at Robb. She didn't want to see the pain in his eyes, the pain she had caused. She hated it, despised it to cause him pain but she also couldn't lie.

Of course she was angry. They had had something back in Winterfell for years. Yes she didn't listen to him and yes she did what Robb exactly told her not to do. But after 7 months he had forgotten her completely and married another when he had told Elena he wanted to marry her. 

It pained her a lot, especially now that she had lost Catelyn too. It also made her feel selfish and stupid. Robb had been through a lot more yet here she was being angry with him just because he couldn't stay alone in a dreadful year like this.

Elena turned around to look at Robb when he didn't reply. He had his head bowed, his body resting on his arms which were leaning on the table. Then she noticed a single tear falling down on the map of Westeros.

"Robb?" All her anger disappeared as she ran to his side. She softly laid her hand on his shoulder while the other directed his face towards hers by lifting his chin with one finger.

"What did you want me to do?" his voice was broken. "I thought you were dead, Elena. All I could feel was pain, it got even worse when father died. I-"

"Eddard is... dead?" Elena's eyes widened as she took a few steps back. Robb looked at her, he thought she knew that already. Robb pulled Elena closer while he nodded. She took a few steps back after brushing him off, keeping distance between her and him.

"How did... he..." Elena could barely speak. Eddard Stark was like a father to her and now she had lost him too.

"Joffrey beheaded him for treason he didn't commit." Robb turned away from Elena again. He couldn't bear to see the tears streaming down her face.

"Why?" Now Elena felt like even more a failure.

"I don't know, Elena. All I know is that Sansa and Arya are being helt captive in the capital with no way out."

"No..." Elena stuttered as her legs almost gave out under her weight. She cast her eyes down to the floor with numerous thoughts storming through her head. How in the seven hells was she going to save Sansa and Arya? While still keeping Robb safe? 

"So that's why you started a war." Elena concluded. At first she had no idea why Robb had called his bannermen to war. Now she finally understood.

"We have to save Sansa and Arya and we have to avenge my father." Robb stood tall again, regaining his hope and determination. He knew he had to win this war, no matter the cost. He had to pull through whatever shit he was going through, with or without Elena. 

"Where are Bran and Rickon?" Elena gathered her strength and blinked the few tears away.

"We don't know. We couldn't take them with us. Bran can't walk and Rickon would never leave him. After all, there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. But then Greyjoy betrayed us." Robb spoke with venom in his voice. He trusted Theon, yet he betrayed him and took his castle.

"What?" Elena felt even more defeated. Was Robb truly the only Stark she succeeded to protect?

"They burned down Winterfell after they had surrounded the castle. We don't know if Bran and Rickon have died with it or if they escaped." Robb clenched his fists. "Either way we can't search for them, the Karstarks have abandoned us and apparently the Boltons have turned against us."