Old enemies

Elena could hear his footsteps as Robb descended from the wall and walked towards her. He knelt down next to her, not saying anything, just looking around at the men in the courtyard.

"Maybe it's time." Robb said after a while, looking at Gillian's motionless face. He seemed peaceful, and finally Robb realized that maybe, just maybe he was going to miss him. He had lost him once before in the battle of Dreadfort but this was different. This was more permanent, it seemed. Just like the decision he was going to make a little while after that.

Elena didn't look at him but only turned her head towards the sound of his voice.

"Time to finally give in." Robb sighed and sat down in the mud. His wolf, grey wind, followed suit. "Our army is little and weakened, our forces scattered and even my uncle, the blackfish, seems tired. I don't know how to fight them anymore." Robb looked down at his hands that were folded in his laps.

"What are you trying to say?" Elena looked up at the sound of his voice, looking at his blue eyes that seemed to stare right back at her. They were empty though, not really looking but only seeing. "Are you giving up?" Elena asked.

"No." Robb immediately answered, his voice steady and determined. It was then that Elena saw the wolf in him, the iron. He is and always will be a Stark. "All I'm saying is that we need a change of plan."

"What's the plan then?" Elena stood up and motioned for one of the men to carry Gillian's body out of there.

Robb followed her, standing up and brushing the mud off his cloak. "Depends on what Jaime says."

~

And so they came to ride out of the castle both mounted together with Steven, their gazes fixed on Jaime that was standing there with a few guards behind him. Even from afar Elena could see Jaime's gaze on her and Steven, probably wondering who they were.

Elena. Steven said to her mentally. Elena slightly directed her gaze towards him. Do we even know what we're doing? He continued, his voice sounding troubled.

Elena remained silent for a while, redirecting her gaze towards Jaime. Just trust him. Elena said. He knows what he's doing.

I'm not going to let Santana's, Gillian's, Ella's, Louis' and Aidan's deaths be in vain. Steven continued.

Elena narrowed her eyes, thinking. Neither will I. Elena said. Neither will Robb.

Then what are we doing talking to Jaime Lannister? Steven's voice sounded angry, ashamed that he even had to stand near the guy. Without Stannis?!

I don't know.

"Robb Stark!" Jaime addressed him when all three of them stepped off their horses near him. "It's been a long time since I've seen you."

"Last time I saw you you were my prisoner and, well..." Robb looked at Jaime. "You were still two-handed."

Elena had to hold in a snicker while Jaime's eyes darkened. "Let's just say a lot of things have changed." Jaime said in a low voice, stepping closer to Robb. Steven reacted immediately, unwrapping his wings threatingly and taking one step forward with his hand glasped around his sword.

"A guardian." Jaime inspected Steven, ignoring the glare he was giving him. "I suspect she is one too, right? You weren't completely honest with me back in Winterfell, were you, Elena?"

She flinched slightly when he remembered her name, her eyes scanning him. "Neither were you, especially when you said you didn't hurt Brann. Or when you told the whole kingdom that you don't fuck your own sister."