How it started

When you stop chasing the wrong things, you give the right things a chance to get you.

It was a cold day that day in Winterfell, even though it was summer people were in their homes packed around their fires to keep warm. Robb, on the other hand, sat in his usual spot in the Godswood. He always went there when there was a lot on his mind or when he felt sad or angry.

This time he was confused. The day before that one he had brought Elena back home in his arms, all the way to Winterfell. He could still hear her pleas for help when he had been searching for her. He sometimes even saw the image of those wildlings holding Elena down.

He shouldn't have left her in the first place. Elena could be so annoying and nerve wrecking but that still wasn't an excuse to leave her alone in the forest. When Eddard heard what happened he first sped towards measter Luwin to check if Elena was going to be alright.

Eddard was furious to say the least, he kept on screaming at Robb. Robb had never seen his father so angry, nor did he ever hear him repeat a sentence over and over.

"She's under our protection, you can't let anyone know what she is." Eddard kept on saying. His eyes shone with fear and his hands were trembling. He didn't want anyone to know about what Elena was yet now his oldest son knew.

Robb sighed as he sat against the tree. All this time he didn't understand why his father kept Elena in their home, ate breakfast and dinner with her and treat her like family. Now, he finally understood.

He understood that when the time comes, Elena would play a major role in their defense. She might not be strong enough yet but she will be.

The things that confused Robb the most though was that he now wanted to keep her here for more reasons, not only for her protection. He had spent the past year hating her. Now, after he had saved her from the wildlings and brought her back home, he was concerned. Robb didn't know what was happening to Elena, she just wouldn't wake up.

"Robb?" A small voice said, leaves and sticks cracking beneath her feet while she made her way over to him. It was strange to come here for her, she knew this was a private place for Robb. She just had to talk to him.

"Elena? Are you alright?!" Robb immediately stood up and ran to her side when he saw her struggling to keep standing. Her whole body was trembling, she looked exhausted.

"I'm fine." She whispered, confused by Robb's sudden care for her. "I just needed to talk to you."

"Please, my lady." Robb frowned.

"My lady?" Elena chuckled, her eyes suddenly shining a bit brighter. "The past year you've called me numerous of bad things but now you call me my lady?"

"It's... I..." Robb stuttered, surprised at his sudden embarrassment towards her.

"It's alright. My lady is fine, it only makes me feel old and important." Elena chuckled and sat down on the forest' cold ground. She was still exhausted, she had used way more power yesterday than she had used in a couple of years.

"I just wanted to say thank you. Not only for coming back but also for bringing me home. Arya told me how you did it." Elena whispered the last part. When Arya had told her that Robb had carried her in his arms all the way to the castle, Elena couldn't help but feel her stomach doing flips.

"It was the least I could do after I left you there." Robb sat down against the same tree he always sat.

"I know things haven't been quite good between us so I know how hard it must've been for you to turn back." Elena looked to the ground. She didn't know what to say. She looked back up at Robb, his eyes were scanning her. "I just really wanted to say thank you." She nearly whispered