Darkest lies

Every lie made in the dark becomes an evil truth in the light.

"Adopted?" Elena's voice was just above a whisper, she could barely muster it out. She looked away from Gillian's dark brown eyes, trying to process the words he just said. "Who are my parents then?" She looked back up at him. Fear was flowing within her, what if she was the daughter of someone terrible?

"I don't know." Gillian said. He laid his hand on Elena's shoulder to try and comfort her. "I'm sure they're the bravest parents we've ever met."

"How can you know that? There's even a chance I'm the Mountains daughter for god's sake!" Elena sobbed. "How could father lie to me about this." She hid her head in her hands and sighed deeply. 

"It was for your own protection most likely." Gillian said as he tried to pry her hands from her face, trying to look into her eyes. "Your real parents were highborn, that I know for sure."

"So what, they just gave me up?" Elena looked up at him with tears in her eyes. 

"I don't know Elena, they didn't give any reason in the letter as to why they gave you away."

"Most likely because I would be a shame to their family, the last guardian who can't protect anyone."

"Don't say that, don't you ever say that." Gillian grasped both her shoulders, forcing her to look at him. "If there is a Guardian who can protect the ones she loves, it's you." Gillian kept staring into Elena's eyes in silence, awaiting a response. She didn't know what to say though, the way Gillian looked, so sure about what he said, almost convinced her too. If Elena hadn't lost Catelyn, Eddard, Brann and Rickon a few nights before, he'd have succeeded.

"Maybe that's because I'm the only one left." Elena said after a while, a sad smile playing on her lips.

"Maybe there's a reason you're the only one left too." Gillian chuckled while slightly shaking her shoulders, trying to lighten the mood.

"Big chance you're an huge part of that reason." Elena looked up again, this time with a full smile on her lips. She looked at him with adoration clear in he eyes, savouring the feeling of being with him. Somehow being with Gillian was always easy, he always listened to her and succeeded in making her smile. 

"Of course I am, I'm awesome." Gillian lifted Elena off the ground, swirling her around in his arms. "You know it!" He laughed in glee.

"Stop it!" For the first time in years, Elena laughed out loud. It was a weird feeling, her life had become so miserable and full of grief but still Gillian had the ability to make her laugh. "Gillian, put me down!" She giggled and playfully slapped his back.

"I've missed you." Gillian whispered after he had put Elena back on the ground and leaned his forehead against her.

"Gillian?"

"Yes?"

"How are you holding up, after your father died?" Elena looked up at his eyes. She could barely see his pupil, his irises were so dark you could barely separate them. 

"Well, I kind of hate Robb now after he beheaded him. But you know, he deserved it after he had killed those Lannister boys." Gillian hesitated and stroked Elena's hair away from her eyes. "He didn't love me as much as he loved my brother, he kind of forgot I was there. So now it actually isn't very different than before."

"You're still a Karstark though, the others have left but you're still here." Elena looked away from his eyes as she rested her palms against his flat chest.