One call away

"Family don't end with blood." - Bobby, Supernatural

"So what's the plan exactly?" Elena asked her brother mentally just after they had taken off, the wind surging through her hair.

"Find Ethan, kill him if necessary." Damon answered. It pained him to know that he had to kill his own brother to save his sister and everyone else he loves. Even though he hadn't been like one for years, Ethan was still his brother. His big brother that took care of him during the years they spent in King's landing with their mother, the brother that sacrificed almost everything to keep his little brother alive. Maybe there wasn't anything of that brother left in Ethan, maybe it had become just a vessel for darkness after all these years, but every time Damon would look into his eyes he'd remember the memories they shared and the times they laughed and played together.

Damon didn't blame his brother for losing control. Hell, he blamed himself for everything that happened. He understood everything Ethan had done since the moment he himself let their mother die. The only thing Damon didn't understand was why Ethan killed Evelyn. Ethan himself had loved Evelyn also, so why kill her when he could take her for himself, even though she wouldn't take him voluntarily? Maybe it hurt Ethan too much to know that Evelyn loved his little brother instead, maybe Ethan killed her as a mercy so she didn't have to go through years of spending with him. Maybe he did have humanity left in that moment.

Damon glasped himself onto that thought, hoping that with the memory of Evelyn he could get his brother back. After all, Ethan had taken care of his daughter all those years without ever hurting her on purpose. That had to be for a reason.

Elena looked down at the battlefield. Stannis was in the midst of the battle with ser Davos close by, killing almost every Lannister that was within his reach. He wasn't exactly a hero, as Elena knew, but he could fight like one. Still the Lannister had an advantage over the northerners. They used trebuchets to knock down the scarred walls of Harrenhall and used rams to knock down the ever holding gates. Within an hour they will undoubtedly reach the castle, break in and destroy everything and everyone within.

But neither Jaimy, Tyrion or Tywin was leading the army. "The lions are still in their castle, cowering." Elena spoke to Damon when they flew over the battle. A few arrows were shot in their direction but they dodged them without any effort.

"Ethan probably leads this battle." Damon told Elena while searching for his demon brother midst the chaos beneath them. "So he probably also set a trap, which has probably taken Steven by now or else he would've been back."

"So what do we do?" Elena grew worried. She hadn't known Steven for too long but still the bond they shared was quite strong. Ever since they met that day near the wall they had been close, telling each other almost everything and anything they wanted to share. He almost felt like family.

"He went to the forest, did he not?" Damon turned towards the forest and for a moment stopped flying in any direction, hanging still in the air with his wings keeping him up.

"Indeed."

"Let's find him then." Damon said and then dove right towards the trees.

~

"They're not going to do it, you know. Damon's smarter than this." Steven sighed, his body aching and trembling due to the torture Ethan put him through. Steven would ask himself why Ethan did it but then he would realize that there is no humanity left anywhere in Ethan's body, he probably only did it for the entertainment or just because he was bored.

The silver caused his body to not heal, which he mostly did immediately. Steven wasn't used to feeling pain for this long. He started to fear that he would never break out of that cage, never see his family, his wife and his daughters ever again. Part of him hoped that Elena and Ethan would come search for him but the other part hoped they didn't.