Battle of life and death -part 1: preparations

"Do you remember the prophecy?" Elena looked at King's Landing. The nerves were wrecking her body, her hands shaking without stopping.

"The one about Ella, you mean?" Robb looked at her. He was standing next to her, wholly dressed in his armor just like she was. Only hers was very different. Instead of big plates she was covered with small steel black feathers all over her chest. On her arms were somewhat bigger plates of armor but they were also shaped like strong feathers just like the ones covering her legs. She looked like a steel bird, only was she even more terrifying than a dragon and a lion combined.

"A child with the kindest of hearts born out of the purest of bloods shall face the darkness. For all we know that was Ella but since she is dead now I don't think it matters anymore." Robb said.

"I meant the other one." Elena looked at him who was standing at her side. The black war paint that covered the area around her eyes made her green eyes pop out even more. Her white hair was bound into a long braid that hung over her shoulder, a few strands of hair hanging before her face.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
not all who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring,
Renewed shall be the blade that was once broken,The crownless again shall be king.

Assuming that the blade they speak about is this one and the shadow is Ethan," Elena sighed and looked down at the blade that was in her hands. She could still remember what was written on the hilt: From light comes darkness and from darkness light. "Maybe we might stand a chance if the prophecy comes true. Maybe someone will find a way to reach deep into Ethan and bring him back but not me. As it says, deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Robb watched as ice was covering Elena's hands and parts of her armor that was in contact with her skin. That usually happened when she was afraid. He looked back up at her eyes, feeling the worry she was feeling.

"I am the frost, Robb. I am the guardian of the North. My powers are now at its strongest since winter is here." Elena twisted the dagger around in her hand. "Still I can't have the blade nor can I defeat Ethan."

"We can't let our plans depend on some prophecy that might not even be true." Robb took her hand in his and also looked at the city before him. In an hour they were going to attack the city, it was already night. They had but 9 hours till dawn.

"All prophecy's come true for as far as I know it. The one you were talking about is vague. It could be talking about anyone still. But this one, it's different. It resembles so much from now." Elena bit on her lip as she tried to make out the highest tower of the palace where her children most likely were being held. "Maybe it's because I just need some hope."

"We'll save them, Elena. We will bring Gillian and Lyanna back home."

"At what cost?" Elena turned towards Robb, sighing deeply as she laid the palm of her hand against his cheek. "The odds are against us, like Damon said. That's why he and I made a different plan."

"Elena." Robb spoke in a warning tone like he always did. Yet she continued.

"Ethan probably knows that I will lead the attack and be the one to carry the dagger with me. That's why I can't be the one with it. We have to let the person carry it who Ethan expects that would never be the one having it." Elena handed it over to Robb. "Give it to Abigail."

"Abigail?" Robb frowned. "I'm not even sure if she's truly on our side. Don't you remember how she almost killed Ella for Ethan?!"

"That's exactly why she needs to be the one. Currently she shares the strongest bond with Ethan." Elena tried to reason with him but he scoffed and turned away. "You saw how he reacted when she came, you saw how he hesitated! He hasn't show any of that kind of emotion towards Damon or me!"