The crown and the faith

"It's all right, Loki." Elena calmed him by stroking his fur softly. The pup looked up at her, staring at her with his big eyes.

"They won't dare to hurt us." Elena said to no one in particular. She looked up at the night's sky, thinking. It was the first night there in King's Landing and already she couldn't get any sleep. She was thinking about how she was going to find the man who knew more about Ethan and how to defeat him. Damon had told her that he'd be here, in King's Landing. That still left Elena with a lot of options and questions though. How was she ever going to find one man in this city?

"Is stargazing a hobby of yours?" Elena turned her head when she heard his voice, spotting Jaime who was walking towards her with his golden armour still on.

"Not particularly." She answered and looked back at the horizon. She was sitting in one of the gardens of the palace that overlooked parts of the city and the sea on the other side. It was beautiful to say the least, especially with the stars reflecting in the water.

"It does look very tempting here though, more tempting than sleeping." Elena continued when Jaime sat down next to her. He sighed deeply and followed her eyes towards the water, leaning one of his hands on his knee.

It was weird for Elena because she didn't even feel the need to kill him right there. Somewhere deep inside she had accepted the fact that he was to become her husband and that she'd have to live with him for the rest of her life.

She could feel his eyes burning into the side of her head yet he didn't speak. Elena was almost relieved when Jaime didn't sit down too close next to her.

"Must be very different compared to the sight of Winterfell." This time Elena looked at Jaime. She was bewildered at the fact that he hadn't threatened her in any way. He looked back from the water and into her eyes.

"It's the same stars." Elena said. "Only the people are different." Loki yawned next to her, stretching his legs and paws. Elena looked from him back to Jaime, seeing some hints of pain in his eyes. She knew that before he rode for Harrenhal he'd arrived back from Dorne.

"I'm sorry about Myrcella." Elena didn't know why she was apologizing to him, a lion, whilst he had killed more of her kin than she ever did his.

Jaime only looked at her with his eyebrows slightly furrowed. "Why are you here?"

"Excuse me?"

"Why did you come here? Why did you accept the offer?" Jaime asked. "It doesn't seem like a wolf to just give up on war and surrender."

Elena looked down at her hands that were folded in her lap. "Neither does it for you." She said. "I was raised learning that Lannisters deemed their pride the most valuable thing in their possession. Especially for the Kingslayer."

"Don't call me that." There was a slight tone of anger in his voice. Elena sealed her mouth shut, studying the face of her soon to be husband. The people hadn't lied when it came to his appearance. Maybe he was the most handsome man in Westeros, but for Elena nobody could beat Robb. She'd always prefer auburn curls over golden locks.

"I came here to protect my family, I'm sure you can understand." Elena looked back at the sea. "I guess I'm more a guardian than a Stark."

"What about a dragon?" Elena straightened up immediately, her hands clenching into fists.

"C'mon, it's not a secret." Jaime scoffed. "Your brother has been working for me for years, of course I know about your father."

Elena stood up, looking down at Jaime for a moment. "He's not my brother." She snapped and then stormed away, Loki following suit.