twenty one

After being left outside of the Otsuda hide-out alone, you hear your name being called from somewhere behind you. Not really having much else to do, you decide to go check it out. You look across the street and see something move behind a small, somewhat rotten wooden fence. As you get close, you notice two familiar-looking motorcycles which confirms your suspicion of the voice.

Just as you're about to step into the street, you look both ways and stop when you see a truck zooming by. Once it's gone, you quickly run across the road.

"Hakkai! Mitsuya!" you whisper as you approach the bikes.

Those idiots are still hiding, crouching behind the little fence that's doing hardly anything to shield you from seeing them. It's pretty much only difficult because of the darkness outside.

"What the hell are you two doing? Hiding from me?" you sigh.

Hakkai quietly nods and doesn't move from his spot.

"You look ridiculous, you know," you smile as you cross your arms and wait for them to come out. "It's quite obvious it's you two here since your bikes are wide out in the open!"

"No they're not," Hakkai protests, "We hid them!"

"Not well enough," you chuckle. "Seriously, come out."

They're such idiots.

Mitsuya's the first to stand, rising cautiously as he comes into view. "What are you doing here?" he asks.

You spin around on your heels to show them the back of your new jacket. "I'm part of the Otsuda gang!" you exclaim. "What are you guys doing here?"

Hakkai almost freezes into an icicle he's standing so stiff. "Umm, what do you mean?" he squeaks a bit loudly.

Mitsuya jabs him in the side. "Keep quiet, they're all right across the street you know! I already told you this once," he sighs.

The two of them then look at you and await your explanation even though it's you who had the question for them.

"Hanma brought me here," you admit. "It's a lot to explain, let's go to my place?"

The guys look at each other as if they're a bit skeptical of you, but eventually agree. Mitsuya tosses you his helmet without so much as a second of thought as he sits down on his bike. You smile at him and put it on without a fight.

You wrap your arms around him, feeling way more comfortable and secure on his bike than the way you were with Hanma. With him, you felt as though you had to hold on for dear life. But with Mitsuya, you're able to relax into the warmth he gives you despite the cold night.

Hakkai watches as you ready yourself on the bike. He doesn't say anything, but he has a strange look on his face. Not really thinking much of it, you ignore it. The two of them then balance themselves and take off.

Once you get back to your house, you explain to them how you found out Kisaki and Hanma are part of the Otsuda gang just like Chikao.

"And now," you groan, a bit understandable disappointed in yourself for agreeing to the plan, "I have to give them two million yen in three days so they can kill Draken."

"What the fuck?!" Hakkai shouts as his eyes widen into perfect circles. "No way. We can't do that!"

You put your head on your hand, not really sure what to say in response to that. "I know, but if we don't then the situation is just going to get worse for all of us... There was also something Hanma said to me before that rubbed me the wrong way."

"When you were outside with him?" Hakkai asks.

"Oh that's right, you saw that," you remind yourself as you internally curse yourself for kissing that jerk and, to some extent, enjoying it just the tiniest bit. "Yeah, it was then. I can't tell if he's onto us or not."

"Either way, we've got to give Kisaki the money he's asking for," Mitsuya chimes in.

You lift your head from your palm, a bit intrigued since he said that so calmly. He must have some sort of plan.

"We can always keep our eye on Draken and watch out for him no matter what those assholes have planned," he tells you.

"Takemitchy saved him once," Hakkai nods innocently. "I think if he could do it we can, too."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Mitsuya asks as he lifts a brow.

"Huh?! No, nothing bad towards Takemitchy. I'm just saying it's doable, that's all! Besides, Draken isn't going to go down that easily anyway."

"Okay then if we're all in agreement that we'll give Kisaki the money, the next step is figuring out how we're going to get it," you ponder. "We can't just take the money from Toman again or Mikey and Draken will actually kill me!"

"There's always Koko," Mitsuya shrugs.

"No way," you shake your head. "I'm not close with him anymore. I can't just ask him for money!"

"Seems like the siblings will have to make up then. Don't you think, Hakkai?"

"Sounds about right," Hakkai hums.

"I can't. I'm sorry. I don't want to risk going back to who I was before I met Mikey. I was a complete mess, you don't understand..."

"I wasn't suggesting that," Mitsuya explains. "I'm just saying that you should ask your brother for help. He's smart when it comes to that kind of stuff."

You sigh as you roll your head back and look up at your ceiling, seriously contemplating what you should do. In the end, you decide that you really don't have much of a choice. Koko's the best method you've got to achieve your end goal of gaining ¥2,000,000.

"Alright, I'll go talk to him," you sigh. "But just know that it doesn't mean he'll help. Last time I spoke to him he was in a really bad spot in his life."

"Okay," Hakkai nods. "Do you want us to go with you?"

"No," you shake your head. "I think it's better if I go alone. We have a bit of catching up to talk through."

The guys look at each other worriedly but respect your decision.

"I'll go tomorrow," you say as you reach behind you and grab a blanket. "You guys staying over?"

When the two of them nod, you throw the blanket in their direction.

"I'll take my shitty ass bed so neither of you have to deal with it. See you in the morning."

With a wave, you walk off and step into your bedroom. You flop down onto your bed and stare up at the ceiling with thoughts of actually talking to your brother swirling around your head.

It's been years. I don't even know what the inside of his house looks like. I don't even know what he's like anymore... I see him in passing very rarely, but besides that he hasn't been in my life at all. I swear to God if he's still annoying as hell I'm ditching his ass.

 I swear to God if he's still annoying as hell I'm ditching his ass