twenty five

It's in the blink of an eye that Mitsuya arrives at the agreed upon location just two blocks down from Kisaki's club. The second you find him you hop on the back of the bike with a huge grin.

"Hey, how'd it go?" he smiles back, ready for the good news.

"Great," you reply as you squeeze your arms around him tightly just before he drives off.

"So how're you feeling?"

"I can hardly believe I actually got the money!" you beam, still in a bit of a daze from earlier in the afternoon.

Mitsuya nods pleased as well with the outcome of the day. "It seems like going to your brother was a good choice, hm? How did it go with him by the way?"

Because of the rollercoaster of glee you're currently riding on, you begin to blab carelessly to Mitsuya about what happened in the past between you and your brother and how you feel as though a huge weight is lifted off your chest now that the two of you can move on. But it's not like you wouldn't tell Mitsuya, it's not a secret you wish to hide. He's grown to be quite close with you lately so why shouldn't you tell him? Besides, you are about to propose something to him that he may not feel too keen on accepting so warming him up is the last you can do.

"That's great," he smiles to himself after listening to you speak. "I'm so happy for you two. Family's important, you know."

"Yeah, yeah," you tease just before your stomach growls and elicits a laugh out of him. "Sorry... Think we could stop for a bite to eat? I haven't had anything since this morning."

"Sure thing," he nods as he quickly takes a sharp turn.

It's not long until Mitsuya stops his motorcycle right outside of the first noodle bar he finds. The two of you quickly order your food, steaming bowls of ramen, and sit side by side at the counter as you wait.

"So what're Hakki and Draken up to?" you ask.

"Wedding planning," Mitsuya responds dryly as if he's more than happy to no longer be there. "Yuzuha left a little while ago so I'm assuming it's just the three of them now."

"She left? Hopefully it wasn't to go see Chikao," you scoff.

Mitsuya nods quietly.

"So, uh, anyway... How are Luna and Mana?"

"They're really loving school," he hums as he perks up the moment the conversation changes. "I got to talk to them earlier today and it seems as though everything is going very well for them!"

"That's awesome! Man, I can't believe they're in a whole other country. I wish I could go," you chuckle. "And how are you doing with them being gone?"

Mitsuya doesn't respond right away and instead takes a moment to think up his answer. "I manage," he soon answers with a grin on his face that tells you he's lying.

"You really are somethin', you know that? You're a good person, a good brother... I really can't compete with-"

"You shouldn't compare yourself to anyone, Y/N," he interrupts. "You spare no effort to help others despite the consequences for yourself and you've grown since you left Koko. I mean, shit, you've grown since I first ran into you at Wisteria. I remember you really looked like-"

"Okay, okay, that's enough Mitsuya," you grumble, cutting him off before he gets into too much detail. "Please just accept my compliment. It's true and you deserve to be happy and succeed in whatever you want to. It's not fair that you're struggling so much on your own..."

"Y/N, I'm fine, really."

"You're always helping me out and doing me favors but do you think just once you could allow me to do something for you?" you ask hopefully.

Mitsuya looks at you with curiosity clear in his eyes. He's got absolutely no idea what you're trying to hint at. "What is it?"

You pull out the folded up envelope full of money you won from the Pig game from your pocket and place it down on the counter between you and him. "Take this," you smile, praying that he'll take it without too much of a fuss.

"What's in this?" he asks just as he reaches towards it but the moment his fingers wrap around the yellow paper and he recognizes the rectangular shape from within, his eyes widen in shock.

"No way," he shakes his head. "I'm not accepting this from you."

"Come on, Mitsuya, it's a gift for you so you can get your business off the ground. Think of it as an investment, yeah?"

"Y/N, I'm not taking money from you!" he whispers harshly.

"Fine then it's your cut, okay? For everything you helped me with," you explain.

"You should get more than two hundred thousand then," he explains in an even quieter tone. "And what about Hakkai?!"

You roll your eyes and pull out 200,000 yen from the envelope and stuff it back into your pocket. "Okay, there, I'll give that much to Hakkai. Now please take it, Mitsuya!"

"Fine, but only if you stop calling me that!" he whispers sternly once more.

"Will you stop fighting and just- Wait, what?"

"We're friends, Y/N. For God's sake, you listen to everyone else call me by my first name so you should, too."

"Only if you'll accept the cash," you say with a grin that sneaks up on your face without you even meaning to.

"I already said I would," he chuckles.

"Okay, then deal!" you beam.

At the same time as you seal the deal, two hot bowls of ramen are set down before you. The two of you excitedly thank the chef as you stare into the steaming bowls.

"Damn this looks good!" Mitsuya sighs as he looks longingly at the food.

"Mhm," you agree as you break your chopsticks.

"Well, in honor of today, this meal is on me so enjoy!" he declares proudly.

"Sounds good to me!" you hum.

Fully satisfied with the conversation you just had, you dig into the meal that only serves to end the day just as well as it started.