9

"I am going to go check up on Kate." I whispered after we had sat in a comfortable silence for a few minutes.

"Ok, I'll be here waiting sweetheart." I smiled lovingly at her and she kissed my cheek. I walked out of the room and knocked on Kate's door.

"Come in." I heard her whisper, I opened the door slowly and saw her lying down on her bed, staring at the ceiling.

"Are you alright?" I asked her.

"No. I just found out that my dad was murdered, and that my sister had to witness it and didn't tell anyone because if she did I would die." She sat up and looked at me with teary eyes. I sat down next to her and put my hand on her back. I felt the urge to just leave and slam the door, telling her to deal with it by herself. But I fought it and stayed with her, I adjusted my arm so it was put around her shoulders. "Are you ok?" She asked me.

"What?" I was confused, I wasn't the one who had been crying.

"I mean you're the one who has known this for the past fifteen years and the one that couldn't tell anyone because you were scared something was going to happen to me." She said quickly, I looked at the ceiling and opened my mouth.

"I don't think I'll ever be ok with it, I don't think I'll ever think I'll come to terms with the fact that it happened." I admitted. "But sooner or later I won't think about it everyday, and now that I can talk about it, I'll be ok." I nodded.

"That's good." She whispered, then pulled me into a big hug. "I'm so sorry you had to deal with that for the past fifteen years."

"I'm fine, really." I awkwardly patted her on the back. "If you're ok, I'm going to go back to Yelena."

"Well I'm fine, so you can go back." She assured me, I nodded and walked back to my room.

"Surprisingly. She just wanted to know that I was ok with not being able to tell anyone that for the past fifteen years." I sighed, pouring myself a glass of wine. I offered her a sip and she gladly took it.

"Well that's understandable. Kate has a big heart, and she cares about you a lot. So if she knows that something was wrong, she'd want to know how to help you." She said after she had taken a sip.

"Yeah I guess." I took the glass back from her. She scoffed softly. "What?" I placed the empty glass down onto the nightstand.

"You don't think she cares about you?" She asked.

"No I do. I just don't understand why, I've done nothing but be a bitch to her for the past fifteen years. If someone were to do that to me I would kick them out after like a week." I explained, she shrugged.

"I doubt that that's actually true but believe want you want to believe I guess." She said playfully. I got up off the bed and pulled my shirt off, taking one of her hoodies and putting it on. I sat down next to her.

"You know I'm keeping this now right?" I asked her.

"Yeah I know, I'm never getting it back."

"Yeah, you're never getting it back." I agreed with her. I lied down in her lap and looked up at her, she kissed my forehead and placed her hand gently on the side of my face.

"You have an advantage against all of us." She said suddenly. "Because if someone wanted to hurt the people that you cared about, you could simply act like you don't care about anyone."

"Yeah, that's true. I've spent the past fifteen years acting like it." I agreed, then got up off her lap, getting under the covers and putting my head against my pillow.

"Was I not a good enough pillow?" She acted, offended.

"I was cold." She lied down next to me and put her arms around me, I buried my face in her chest.

"Is this better?" She asked, I laughed and nodded, she kissed the top of my head protectively, rubbing my back. "Are you gonna take a nap?"

"Yeah." I whispered, relaxing in her touch.

"Goodnight."