Just like that

Betty Cooper had always been Jughead's Achilles heel. His greatest love was the very thing that could be used to destroy him. 

The Ghoulies knew that, and now he had to make sure they never ever got to her. He couldn't watch his angel fall, because he'd simply tumble down to the pit of hell with her. 

"Juggie? What's up?" the blonde interrupted his thoughts as she pushed herself up the metal stairs, finding her boyfriend sat on the rooftop of the Wyrm "Toni said you've been up here hours" 

"Needed a break" he muttered, smoke falling from his lips as he inhaled the wrapped tobacco. He'd received yet another threat from the ghoulies and he knew it needed to stop. He needed her to leave before it was too late. 

"Hey, talk to me" she whispered as she sat down next to him, taking the cigarette from his lips. She stubbed it out and flicked it to the edge of the roof before cupping his cheek, pressing a soft kiss to his lips "You're tense baby" 

"I'm tired" he replied shortly, lifting the blonde from the brick onto his lap. She curled up, resting her head on his shoulder, his arms tight around her and head in her neck. Breathing in her vanilla perfume seemed to calm him slightly, though the acknowledgement that this would be the last time kept him from truly relaxing. 

The couple stayed in complete silence. They often did, just cuddling in each others arms and taking the break they needed, but this silence was different. It was bitter, and the air was filled with a certain tension. 

"We need to talk" he muttered after what felt like forever, brushing her hair back "I need to do this baby, and I know you're going to hate me for it but I need you to just try to understand. I need you to try" 

She frowned, sitting up in his arms "Jug what are you on about?" 

"Promise me-" 

"No don't make me promise you when I don't know what you mean, what's going on?" she interrupted, shaking her head quickly. 

"I'm breaking up with you" he replied bluntly, barely able to meet her eyes. He felt her arms leave his neck, and her body slip out of his arms. 

"Betty you have to understand, the ghoulies they....they keep threatening you and I can't do it. I can't watch you get hurt" he tried to reason. 

"No Jughead, no I don't have to fucking understand" she scoffed, tears in her eyes "I told you I didn't care, I repeatedly told you that no matter what they did I wouldn't leave. You promised you wouldn't either!" 

"I'm trying to keep you safe!" he argued "You're too good for this life Betty" 

"That's the thing though, I'm not! You act as if I'm something better than all of this but I'm not. I love being here, with the serpents, with you. And some stupid threats from a gang that are all bark and no bite isn't going to change that. I'm stronger than that Jughead, and if you don't believe me then clearly you don't get me as well as you think you do" 

"This is my choice Betty, and I will not let you get hurt because of my selfish desire to be with you. I'd rather you hate me than get hurt because of me" he sniffled, lighting another cigarette with his shaky hands. 

"I thought we were in this together" she sniffled, tears falling down her pale cheeks "I-I love you, please don't do this" 

Her anger seemed to disappear as the sadness took over that this was actually happening, he was actually breaking up with her. She was losing her anchor. 

"Go home" he muttered, staring out at the view of Riverdale's night sky as a cloud of smoke fell from his chapped lips. 

She watched in disbelief as he didn't even look at her, that he didn't even give her the time of day. She wanted to plead with him, make him understand that a couple of threats weren't going to drive her away, but he had made his decision.