Opposites

Betty Cooper. A girl who, although did not care about it, was a part of the popular group that ruled the halls of Riverdale High with their varsity jackets and cheer uniforms. Her best friends were Veronica Lodge and Cheryl Blossom, the three girls almost inseparable. Though it never felt right to Betty, she didn't want the boys or the popularity. After all she was the smart girl, the brains behind the school. Her mother took so much pride in her daughter's knowledge, raising her to the high expectations the Cooper family lived by.

Jughead Jones. He didn't have much, a trailer with limited supplies and one parent. He noticed, no appreciated the little things in life. Even just a burger at Pop's would complete his day, or a full nights sleep which he rarely achieved. He wasn't noticeable to the students of Riverdale High and he liked it that way, he didn't want attention. He didn't want to be seen.

"Open!" Betty whisper shouted, yanking the key out of her locker. "Stupid key" she huffed, jamming it again and trying. Jughead was leant against the wall, raising an eyebrow at the blonde's anger. "That's a little harsh don't you think?" he asked, the words just slipping out. Betty turned her head to see the raven haired boy looking at her, headphones in and arms crossed. 

"Can you not? I don't need snarky comments today" she rolled her eyes. Betty was a nice girl, she always was but not today. Not after being ridiculed by her mother and ditched by her friends for some boys. 

"Oh it must be so difficult for you" Jughead spoke, sarcasm dripping from his voice as he rolled his eyes. "Like you know anything" she scoffed, trying to open the locker again. He sighed and walked over, taking the key from her and twisting it the other way so the door unlocked. A cocky smirk grew on his face, raising an eyebrow at her as she frowned at him. She tried to grab the key back but he held it in the air, her too short to get it. 

"Not even a thank you? I thought Riverdale's good girl was polite" he teased, intrigued by the blonde. "Fine, thank you. Now can I have the key?" she asked, annoyed by the boy. He smirked and dropped it into her hand, becoming aware of how close their bodies were from when she'd tried to reach it. Betty pocketed the key, for some reason not moving away from him in the empty halls. She looked down at the floor, fiddling with the key in her pocket before his index finger pressed under her chin and tilted her head up. He didn't know why or how but there was something about this girl that ignited a fire in him, he could stand there all day gazing into her glimmering emerald eyes. "I...I have to go" she mumbled, stepping away from him and walking down the empty halls. 

He raised an eyebrow, looking at the locker that she had been so desperate to open but now hadn't even got anything from. He chuckled and shook his head, shoving his hands in his pockets and walking the opposite way.

The two did not speak again until a cold Sunday morning. Betty Cooper was walking through the park, having needed to get out of the hell house she lived in. She noticed the same beanie wearing boy sat on a swing, his laptop in his lap as he typed.
"Hey Cooper" he grinned when he saw her. She nodded at him, sitting down on the adjacent swing.
"How's the locker?" he teased making her roll her eyes.
"Okay you don't have to rub it in. I was stressed, I had a lot going on" she explained.
"Wanna talk about it?" he asked, closing his laptop. She raised an eyebrow at him, shaking her head. "Some things are better off kept to myself"
"Okay well...if you ever need that locker opened or want to talk let me know" he grinned.
"Oh I sure will" she giggled.

Everything went back to normal. The weeks passed by with no interaction between the two, not even a look in the corridor or when they sat on the same table in physics class. That was until an early Wednesday morning when Betty entered the blue and gold to finish up her latest article on the football game won by the bulldogs. What she didn't expect to find was the same raven haired boy sleeping on the sofa, his messy locks covering his eyes. She shrieked from the shock of someone being there, clasping a hand over her mouth but he'd already woken. 

"Do you have to be so loud?" he sighed, rubbing his eyes tiredly and sitting up. "What are you doing here?!" she asked, placing her bag down. "Trying to sleep but you interrupted, you really come to school this early?" he questioned changing the subject. 

"Yes I do, now why are you sleeping here?" she asked again, pressing on the subject. "Because trailer beds aren't comfortable and my dear old father was home" he shrugged, getting up and brushing down his clothes. "So you slept here? In school?" she asked, scrunching her face up in disgust. "Sorry but not all of us have a master bedroom with silk sheets and pillowcases" he mocked, rolling his eyes. "You know you don't have to be so rude" she snapped, crossing her arms. "I'm being honest" he defended, shrugging at her. "If you weren't so defensive someone could help you. I could help you" 

"You? Help me?" he chuckled, shaking his head. "I'm not a project for you to complete Cooper. We're not even remotely similar, you're the perfect popular, sweet girl and I'm practically treated like the gum someone would scrape off their shoe. I'm nothing to you" he scoffed, brushing past her as he walked out of the old room and down the halls with his hands in his pockets and head down.