Stuck in their world

Reputation was pointless to Betty. However the same could not be said for her overbearing parents. They couldn't get enough of the formal dinner parties, praise from peers, and those all-important charity events. Betty was convinced their life was set out as a camera reel of perfection rather than actual experiences. 

She couldn't live like that. So when she moved to college she made her own way, paid her own bills, and became who she was supposed to be. The very girl that made Jughead Jones, a man usually fluent in words, a stumbling mess. He too had made his own way in life, except it wasn't by choice. Jughead never had much as a kid, with no help from his redundant parents. 

Maybe it was fate, maybe their lack of love brought them together. Jughead, a person with no love and Betty a person with a warped view of it. 

"Juggie you're literally sweating. Calm down" Betty sighed as she tightened his black tie, straightening out his shirt. 

"Calm down? I'm basically entering the devil's den" he complained, smoothing his hair back. 

"Alice Cooper won't ever show herself up in front of her fancy friends, which means she can't start on you. So just smile, shake hands and try not to mock the guests" she advised, pressing a kiss to his cheek. 

"If you say so" 

"I do, now Archie and V are gonna meet us at the gates. We need to go now" 

After they graduated, the couple had moved in together, buying a small one-bedroom apartment that suited all their needs. Jughead had of course met the Cooper parents before, but it was always very tense and awkward. Without fail, Alice always had some sort of comment to make about him. 

---

"You good?" Archie asked as he grabbed Jughead a beer from the pack he'd snuck in, much to Veronica's dismay. She'd told him beer bottles weren't formal enough, whatever that meant. 

"Honestly my mission is just to make it through the night and make Betty happy" he shrugged, sipping the slightly warm beverage. 

"Good plan" his red-headed pal laughed, leaning against the wall with his hand shoved in his suit pocket. "I'm just trying to avoid conversation with Veronica's dad. He either hates me or wants me to invest in a business. Like dude, make up your mind" 

Meanwhile, the girls were making their rounds to all the guests. Betty in pink, Veronica in purple, they walked around together with champagne flutes in hand. "I had to convince Archie to wear a suit, he couldn't see the point" 

"Jug has just been panicking over my parents" Betty sighed, swirling her champagne at the bottom of her glass. 

"You've gotta admit it's sweet, he wants to impress them" Veronica grinned, flicking her hair back. 

"He shouldn't have to V, they should accept him and accept our relationship. I hate that he thinks he has to prove himself" Betty complained with a small frown. 

"Speaking of..." Veronica trailed off as Alice and Hal approached their daughter with reserved looks. 

"Hello dear, nice to see you" Hal nodded at his youngest child, lacking any sort of adoration towards her. 

"Hi dad, mum" she replied, gritting her teeth as Veronica placed a hand on her arm before sauntering off presumably to Archie and Jughead. 

"Is Jug-head here tonight?" Alice asked with a quirked brow, lips pressing together in a disapproving frown. 

Betty swore her mother struggled to say his name without feeling the need to throw up. "Yes he is, we've been together for 4 years now mum. Did you not expect him to show?"