You said we had forever

The man stood in front of the withering rock, ivy roots beginning to crawl and disperse over it. It seemed so unfortunate to him, her whole life represented by a piece of stone with a date and some quote from her favourite book. He placed the bundle of peonies down on the grass, making sure they were arranged well in the pink vase. According to Veronica they were a sign of healing...but he didn't know if he would ever heal. He could barely even look at the picture of the beautiful blonde without a tear forming in his eye. 

"Hey Betts" he croaked out, kneeling down on the wet grass with the moonlight shining down on him. "God I look like a mad man talking to a piece of stone" he chuckled sadly. 

"I miss you...we all do. It feels like this town has lost it's 'pep' as they like to call it. Even Veronica is checking up on me" he grinned. "I don't know why I keep coming here, maybe it's just to feel close to you or maybe even to give myself some sort of closure. My dad thinks it's because I can't let go but then who says I want to?" 

He stayed silent for a while, collecting his thoughts. He knew it was pointless and she wouldn't hear a word but it kept him sane. This crumbling piece of rock kept his state of mind at ease. Was this even good for him? "I thought we had the time Betts, I thought we'd live out your cheesy dream of growing old together in a cottage..the cat you wanted to call Nancy. That really was a bad name but as long as you were happy" he laughed, shaking his head.  

"You said we had forever...I wish you hadn't because we just spent our lives filled with false hope. Now I'm on my own in this town...I have so many people around me but it's just not enough. You were the only thing keeping me sane Cooper, and now you're gone" he sighed, picking at the grass. "I wish you could hear me right now...just to have one last word. One last moment with you, to tell you I love you for the thousandth time" he sniffled, his finger tracing over the carved out, gold tinted letters. Gold. Just like she was, Betty Cooper was golden to him. "Why'd you have to leave?" his voice cracked, dropping his head. He took a deep breath and stood up, too choked up to say anything else before he walked away.

"I'm still here Juggie..."

A/N: This is based off of one of my favourite songs that I end up crying to most of the time😂😂. Hope you all enjoy, loved writing this💖💖