6. mother

"M-mom?" Wooyoung was sure he was imagining her

"M-mom?" Wooyoung was sure he was imagining her. He had to be.

"Wooyo" She says softly, her arms opens up for a hug.

Whether or not he was imagining things he didn't care. He immediately flew in her hold. To the one place where he's always felt safe. He wraps his arms around her neck as more confused sobs tore through him and she brings him close.

"It's ok. Everything is going to be ok" She whispers, rubbing his back with one hand and running her hand through his now disheveled dark hair 

There they stayed, on the floor. Mother and son reuniting in the most unexpected of ways. Wooyoung had many questions of course but for that moment all he could do was cry in his mother's arms hoping for the ache to go away.

Eventually he calms down and the deafening silence swallows them whole. He still had his face buried in her neck when he slowly realized she isn't a figment of his imagination and that she's really there.

He sits back abruptly, eyeing her warily. "Y-you're supposed to be dead" He whispers. He squeezes his eyes shut and grips his head. What is happening..

"Hey" She takes his hands again, interlacing their fingers. "Hi to you too" She says wistfully.

She's not disappearing.. so I'm not imagining her?

"I am not dead" She adds when she notes that Wooyoung still stares at her with those big scared eyes instead of smile at her sarcastic tone. "We are not dead"

He still wasn't following so she sighs lightly then stands up, taking Wooyoung's hand. Wooyoung stands up as well and follows her to the other side of the room and that's when he notices another coffin similar to the one his body was in except this one has his mom's body.

His eyes widen and his knees nearly buckles. The glass lid of the coffin was covered in dust and inside she layed in a peaceful eternal sleep. Her skin pale, and mid back length hair scattered around the yellowing pillow underneath her head. There was a dagger stuck in her chest, one similar to the one in Wooyoung's chest.

Wooyoung stumbles back, not sure what to make of any of this. "I don't-"

"It's fine to be scared love. I know you're confused and terrified. I woke up like you did but I was all alone"

"H-how long have you been here?" He knew the answer to that already. She'd been presumably "dead" for about 75 years now.

Yojin, Wooyoung's mom, smiles sadly at him then gently caresses his cheek. Wooyoung swallows his phantom stone lodged in his throat and he felt sick.

He was trying his best to stay calm but it was close to impossible. "Those daggers-" She starts up again, now looking at Wooyoung's body. "They're called hyuljo, carved thousands of years ago by witches who practiced black magic. They were meant to imprison vampires so long as it remains embedded in their heart.. but as black magic became illegal the use of hyuljo became illegal as well"