33

CHAPTER 33

The doctor came out as I stood waiting; she was in the operation for hours, and the morning peeked through the sky. We surround her like animals waiting for the news, "Iris is fine, and so is the baby."

I let out a suffocating breath that I've been holding, releasing all the tension and worry weighing me down all this time. Iris was fine, and so was the baby. "Wait, did you just say, baby?"

"Yes, she's pregnant." She told Elara.

A laugh escaped my chest; butterflies played symphonies in me. She was fine, Iris was fine, and so was the baby. "Honestly, it's a miracle that she and the baby survived." I smiled. "She's a fighter." I told the doctor. "so is the baby,"

"Thank you, doctor."

"No problem, but she needs to rest; I can come to do my checkups here instead of at the hospital."

"Yeah, I think she would prefer that."

"She has a check-up in two days so that I will see you then."

"All right."

She walks away, then stops. "And next time, instead of scaring me by kidnapping, just call," I chuckle and nod.

"Take care of her."

"Will do."

I enter the room and see her lying on a fresh bed and wearing clean clothes. I felt filthy entering the room with my bloody clothes. Pro told me to go change but I couldn't. I was pinned mentally and physically to her, I need to know she's fine. the beeping sound echoing her heartbeat into mine. She was alive; I shut the blinds and sat next to her.

Too much, it must have been for her to hold, and like an asshole, I pushed her around. Not for a second did I consider that there was a weight on her shoulder, from her family that's dead to the one she was creating.

And that face she painted every day, I should have known how she felt. No one knows it better than me, and I know what it did to me; I couldn't forget even if I wanted to. But I just walked by when she was dying. "I'm sorry," I breathed; exhaustion hit me, and I lay back in the chair and found myself drifting to sleep.

————————————————————

I woke up and saw Iris still sleeping; Derek knocked on the door and entered. "Hey cousin, do you want me to stay with her until you go shower?"

I honestly didn't want to leave her, but if she woke up and saw me like this, she would tell me I stink. So, I get up, walk to my room, shower, and wash away all yesterday's chaos. When I leave the room, I call Daniel and update him on Iris. "Good. I landed 30 minutes ago, and I'm on my way." Daniel cold voice stained my heart. I failed him, the only father figure.

"All right, we have to talk about the attack." I told him.

"We will once I'm there." He replied.

I entered the room; Derek was standing next to the window with Piro, and they both looked at me. "Tell Venice to find their location as soon as possible." I was still not ready to talk to him. " Daniel will be here soon, make sure the workers prepare his room in case he wants to stay." They nod, "You can leave now." They both leave when I sit on the chair. I look at the dropper. Sam must have updated the medicine bag because it was complete.

Blue eyes slowly opened; I pushed the chair back and rushed to her. She adjusted her eyes to the room's light before looking in my direction, puffy eyes with exhaustion as she looked at me. She opened her lips to say, "The baby is fine." I slip my hands into hers and squeeze it.