20

CHAPTER 20

"I guess we have something in common." she looked at me and then back at the fire.

She exhales a shaky laugh. " Here I am, though." her eyes glossed. "Alive when I thought it would kill me."

"You are a survivor," I whispered.

"It's been 2226 days since I lost my sister." I never spoke about this to anyone, not even the crew. But I felt the need to, like I owed it to her.

"She was only 14 years old; she's gone because of me." She looked at me, darkness in her eyes. That's right, hate me like everyone.

"I am the reason her body was never found."

"I'm the reason she didn't have a happy life," I said, looking at her.

She looks back at the fire and says, "Somehow, it's easier to blame ourselves."

"But I am to blame."

"Tell me about the scars on your back," she asked.

"Those scars are worthy to be on me." Silence again. How did she see them? They are covered in tattoos.

"All my fears came true, Iris. That's why I have none."

"I guess we have something in common." she turned to me. "somewhat." she smiled. That smile itself loosened the thick tension.

"I see you are a fan of tattoos," I asked

"So are you." She replied

"Another thing in common," I said, and she smiled wider.

" Okay, tell me about the rose."I turned to give her my attention.

"It's a reminder of my mother." she paused.

"Her room reeked of the smell of rose, which was her favorite flower," she smiled sadly.

"What is the 1999 tattoo for?" she asked

"The year I made my first kill."

"How old were you?"

"3." I can feel her hold her breath in shock.

"That's young."

"Yeah, I know; my father put the gun in my hand and told me to press the trigger. He wanted to create the best weapon on earth."

"That's fucked up," she added calmly

"You think."

"What about the wolf?"

"It's our symbol." she released an oh.

"I see you got one, too." she frowned her eyebrows.

"your back tattoo"

"Which one?" she asked, so I leaned closer, tracing her snake tattoo. My cold finger touches her warm body, slowly moving lower. She leans in herself, giving me more access, and I feel her body explode with goosebumps like a forest catching fire.

She placed her face on her knees and gazed comfortably at me. I slowly traced it; it was a beautiful tattoo, and the snake seemed almost lifelike.

"That's my favorite tattoo," she said, still looking at me.

"It's your family symbol."

"I guess I know why my mother hated it." she chuckled.

"It's good."

"I know, right." she straightened.

"so, are you ready for your announcement day?"

"I guess the dresses are gorgeous." she paused. "It's kinda weird, though."