43

CHAPTER 43

I lay her down in the private jet bedroom, and everyone walks in behind me, "Get me a wet towel." I ordered.

Piro started wiping the blood and dirt away from her foot, moving up her leg slowly, and Derek worked on her arm; Elara handed out the wet towels. I start to gently wipe away the dirt and blood, praying I won't see another bruise or cut, but with every wipe, it only gets worse. Her rosy cheeks are now stained brown and purple, and my vision blurred.

"Azrael." Piro stopped, stunned, looking at her thighs.

I looked at him. "Azrael- " Piro seemed conflicted on what to say.

"What." He looked at me with trembling lips. I move closer, a dark handprint on her thighs, "No." An ache struck sharply in my chest. I close my eyes, shaking my head. This can't happen, "No," I whisper again; the lump in my throat burns, and my first connects with the sheets, and I swing it multiple times with a scream, "Fuck." My knees buckled to the ground with a cry; tears streamed down my face. I failed her; they used her, and I wasn't there; I wasn't there when she needed me; she fell, and I wasn't there to catch her. I gripped the sheets with my hands as I wept; sobs broke later on when I closed into Iris's body. I pull her closer, take the wet towel slowly, clean her face, and move to her neck. One swipe and I see another handprint. My gut sinks; seeing her skin imprinted with hands and bruises caused my lungs to block the air.

"I'm sorry."

Hands trembling so hard to control, I stroke again, then hum her favorite song. Vince holds my shoulder, trying to pull me away, but I continue cleaning her; she's clean, she's pure. The song leaves my lips with a sob; I inhale sharply and wipe away my tears once she twists and whispers and groans.

She took in her lips and bit it hard that it turned white, "Iris." I cup her face, "Hay, hay, you are safe; we got you out." She turns painfully slow to me.

"I'm here, I'm here." I held her hand. "I'm with you, I won't go anywhere."She mumbles something barely audible, so I pull her closer. " Don't tire yourself."

"Jonathan." She managed to say, coldness rushing through my veins as she called me his name. A pause that seemed to last for ages filled the atmosphere, waiting for me to react.

I pushed Iris's hair back and added, "We can talk later when we reach home." She shook her head as sweat started to form on her forehead; she was burning up. She said something, and then her body shook under my hold, and I put one of the clean towels on her head.

"Iris, I need you to save whatever power you have left." She nodded, refusing, "We will get you home soon, then we can talk."

"The boss." She forces mumbled before surrendering to the darkness.

—————————————————————

It was 7 AM when we reached home; Iris was out throughout the flight. Sam organized everything as I placed her into her bed. He asked me to step out, and I refused to let her go even for a second, but Piro pulled me out to my office.

I turned to gripe; the table heard it groaned, and Piro closed the door behind me. "How did he die?" I knew whom he was talking about, but I remember the terror on Iris's face as she realized that she killed her father, and she begged me to do something.

Too deep, her pain struck too deep as tears flowed, as she held Daniel's lifeless body with trembling hands. Once full of life and joy, that bony body has been drained.

"Azrael?"

"Will she ever smile?" My back is still facing him.

"Will we ever hear her laugh?" I turn to him, the only person I can be valuable with besides her.