34

CHAPTER 34

The next day Iris started walking to her room, claiming that she hated hospitals, and I knew it was only because she wanted to walk around and couldn't stick her ass in one place. The guys congratulated her on the pregnancy, and Elara jumped with excitement. Iris ordered me to talk with Venice and forced me to do so.

"This is way better." She sits slowly on the bed while hiding her wince.

"You should have stayed downstairs."

"I told you I don't like hospitals."

"Bullshit, you just can't stay in one place." She went quiet.

"I went a week in a hospital knowing my family was dead. Tied to the bed thinking I would do something to myself or anyone." I sat on the bed, reaching for her hand, and she pulled away. "I went a month in a hospital after my mother overdosed in a coma." I look back at her; she never told me this. She looks down and says, "Two nights after you died and came back to life."

"I'm sorry." A chill ran down my spine when she looked back at me.

"I don't ever want to be in a hospital again in Azrael." I nod.

There is a knock on the door, and I open it. Doctor Nadia was waiting outside with her machine. "Come on in, Doctor."

Iris greeted the her and talked briefly until she got everything in place. Once she was done, I excused myself, "Then I will leave you to it." The chat stopped when I started walking to the door.

"Don't," Iris's voice rushed to me, and I looked back at her.

She patted the bed beside her, ordering me to stay. I looked at the doctor; she looked at Iris, smiling with relief. I walk back to her bed and slowly sit beside her. Iris pulled her shirt up to reveal her stomach. The doctor pours the gel, plants the device on her belly, and moves it around the bandaid.

"Oh Fuck." The doctor's eyes widened, and I felt Iris stiffen next to me. I held her hand. "What's wrong?"

"This." She splits the screen into two, "You're having two." Everything went still; the blood in my veins flowed heavier. I look down at Iris, and she doesn't blink at the screen; I squeeze her hand, and she smiles wide, then looks back at me.

For the first time, I witnessed true and raw life linger in her eyes, hope, and a world where laughter never stops, where light emerges, and joy paints the gray walls. This was the new Iris, the faithful Iris she was hiding underneath all the gloomy clouds. I mirror her smile unconsciously and feel her energy immigrating my soul; it feels like home.

Iris touches her lips and breathes, "Oh God."

Tears quickly escaped her eyes, shaking her head. "Are you okay?"

She nods multiple times and smiles, "I'm just so happy."

"Congrats," Nadia says as she prints the photo and hands it to Iris.

Iris runs her finger slowly over the photo, drying her eyes. "Now, I don't need to remind you to rest." The doctor tilted her head.

"I will, for the love of God." The doctor laughed.

"Don't worry, doctor, I will be working at home until these two devils pop." Iris whips her head in my direction.

"No."

"Yes."

"No, I don't need you to monitor me 24/7."

"Need I remind you that you locked me in my bedroom for a full week and almost chained me to bed."

"You did the same to me." She shakes her head.

"I didn't lock you though." I press her nose between my fingers; she wiggles out of my hold.

"I will just go." Dr. Nadia says, packing everything. Iris thanked her before she left and waved goodbye.

I could stay all day staring at those eyes and letting them water hope in me; she is different from all the women I interacted with. She faced all this without even blinking. She got up when I pushed her into the void I created in me; maybe the human part of me knows that she could fall into that and come out alive. That's why I dragged her in; perhaps she could save me.

But now she's carrying two more heartbeats, her body creating humans, and they are in there. That womb crawling in themselves and listening to her heartbeat, did they hear their mother heartbreaking, or her soul burning with grief and decide to make her stay, to fight? I move my hand over her stomach and feel my heart shiver.

"Can I be the godfather?" I don't know what came over me, but I just said it.

Irise's eyes widened with shock; she opened her mouth to say something, then closed it as fast. Just like that, I wish I could take back the words; it's understandable. I won't say anything new, 'What do they expect from someone who couldn't save his blood.' but why do I feel like lightning struck me?

Iris squeezes my hand, and I bring my eyes back to her; she draws one of the most beautiful smiles I have ever seen on a human. She shakes her head. "I wouldn't ask for anyone else."

Within seconds, I find my arm wrapped around her, and she stiffens, then relaxes and lays her head on my chest. We stayed like this for a while, trying to register the excitement, not realizing that she had fallen asleep. I looked down at her; she was snoring, and I chuckled at her. I lay down with her on my chest; I want to hold her like this for a while; I don't know till when, but as long as I can, that's for sure.

She slid her hand around me, and this gave me deja vu from the cabin night when she was on top of me. She looks so angelic asleep, so much different from when she was awake. Like this, she lets all her guard down and is too variable, carefree, and peaceful.

I can see it from the way she looks at me with those eyes; she doesn't know what she's doing in the slightest, but she wants to reach her goal no matter what. She wants to find peace; she can only get it when she finally gets revenge and avenges her family.

Little does she know once she doses, it will only get worse; she will have more sleepless nights, and she will shed more tears, that is, if she spread any before. It's been months since I met her, and I have never seen her cry or weep. Is she bottling it up, or does she genuinely feel nothing, as she claims? But if so, why go through all the trouble to get revenge? Why go this far as to become a murderer? There are so many things this woman has to carry and hide. But no matter what it is, the time will come when she releases it; it will be wrong. Nothing is hidden forever, after all.

For now, she can have her way.