39

CHAPTER 39

Iris POV.

This can't be true; I blink, taking him in. It's him; my heart aches at the realization, and I feel tears burning in my eyes.

"You are alive." I breathed.

"Yes, and I have missed you so much." He smirks down at me. "Wife."

It's him, Jonathans, alive. A relief hit me: the father of my children is alive. They will meet their father, and we can be a family. Then it crashed into me; the reality is, I'm in a dirty cell and chained. " After all, the boss has the right to see them." Brin's words made sense now.

"It's you." I look up at him.

"And I thought you were smarter than the others." He clicked his tongue.

"Why?" I command all the power in me to stand up, but nothing.

"You will know soon."

I don't know if I can't breathe right; I've been betrayed by none but the person I trusted the most. I gave my heart, soul, and love to the person I called my all. How could I be so foolish, such a child, blinded by validation I have never received? My head spun and spun, crowded with disturbing thoughts. I knew the answer, but a part of me didn't want to believe it, so I finally brought myself to ask, "You killed my family."

"Does it matter? they are dead." I take a deep breath.

"Did you kill my family?" I finally drag my eyes from the floor to his face.

"Yes."I dug my nails into my palms as that single word echoed, making me wish to wake up from this nightmare; this can't be true.

This was Jonathan, my lover, my husband, my savior, my soul, and the father of my children. I've been betrayed, I've been betrayed, I've been betrayed, I've been betrayed, I've been betrayed, I've been betrayed, I've been betrayed, I've been betrayed, I've been betrayed, I've been betrayed. I close my eyes and tilt my head, unable to look at him.

"How could you?"

"Oh love, you are my fake wife." He chuckles.

"My real wife is upstairs with our kids." I look up at him.

"Now, how could you keep my babies away from me?" He steps away, hand on his chest.

Nothing about this man was the same one I fell in love with; he was a completely different person. "Their father is dead." I'm still staring at the ground.

"God, why so depressed." He nears, tilting his head; even his scent is different.

"What's your mission?" I swallowed the hard lump and looked at him with disgust.

"I'm going to kill everyone you love and care about."

"Why?"

He squats. "Your mother fucked up big time." I narrow my eyebrows.

"Your mother, who is my auntie, was sent to kill your father, but she fucked him and planted two heirs in her and ran away after she fell in love."

My mother was a snipper; I fucked my cousin and gave birth to two of his blood, and I blinked away my breaking heart.

"Congrats, you already did." I laugh. The cold flames of betrayal spread through my veins; it was a thin line between the calmness that my face portrayed and the fire that emerged inside me.

I won't give him the pleasure of seeing me in pain, with tears and desperation. So I let it burn; I allowed it to rage inside me, then slowly bury it down in my gut. And there she was, the queen of destruction.