22

CHAPTER 22

Father looked me up and down. "You look good, darling."

"Why did you kick me out of the house?" I asked straight away.

He looked at the corner of the room and then back at me. "We don't have time for this; you are already late," he said, then walked out the door.

"Why didn't you tell me about the attack?" He got out and walked fast down the hall; I held my dress up and matched his pace. We reached a big door, and he finally stopped.

"I have the right to know." He looked back at me.

"Fix yourself, child; you are Hades' daughter, not some random person." He pulled my back to straighten my spine and lifted my chin. "Stand tall."

"If anyone asks why they haven't seen you before? Tell them you were studying abroad." He took a step to take a good look at me.

"Never show weakness or emotions; these stay here, Iris." He pointed to my chest, and I looked forward to the large gate.

"Stay close to Azrael; your dress will be a bonus attraction tonight." He stood beside me with his hands looped with mine and nodded to open the door. I looked at him, and he didn't bother to look at me, I said firmly in a whisper. "Don't you dare hide anything from me again, Daniel?"

My heart skipped a beat when I saw the number of people in that ball, all staring at me, staring at Hade's daughter. The music started playing, and Father took a step forward. He looked at no one but everyone at the same time. I copied his movements while walking down the stairs and stopped in the middle of the ball, where he held me close enough to dance. As the music bounced through the walls, we started to slow dance; what a lovely moment to have, right? Not when your father hates you.

Our eyes locked, and for the first time, I couldn't understand what was going into his mind or how he was feeling. I wouldn't say I like this; I wouldn't say I like this stupid dance. It wasn't supposed to go like this; this isn't how I imagined it. All the daydreams I had of my father, this isn't how I imagined it; I thought I would dance with tears in my eyes, so much love and care. But here we are dancing, lacking everything; maybe Azrael was right; the family could be mere blood. When the song ends, he lets go, and people return to chatting and drinking.

Someone called Daniel as he approached; Daniel smiled broadly, greeting him and a handsome boy next to him.

"Hades, how are you?" The man bowed.

"Good, Vaughn, this is my daughter, Iris."

"Iris, this is Vaughn and his son Zegor." I nod, and they repay it with a nod.

Zegor eyed me up and down shamelessly, and I looked at the ground, acting shy. I saw him smirking. I looked back at Daniel, and he was chatting with Vaughn. I need to get out of here before I end up killing that ash-blond, green-eyed boy since he is undressing me with his eyes non-stop. I excused myself to get a drink, and as I reached the bar area, a group of females clouded me.

"Iris?"

"And you are?"

"Clare, this is Mia, Devan, and Carmen." I put up my fake smile.

"He's a snack, isn't he?" Devan nodded toward Zegor.

"More like a whole damn meal." Carmen corrected.

"Girls, stop. You have been promised since birth."Clare hissed at them.

"Wait, whom are you promised to?" Mia asked, and they all leaned in.

"Promised?"

"Yes, mine is that man over there." She pointed to a boy in an emerald green brand suit.

"We've been engaged since birth." I held back my surprise, and the others pointed out their boys.